FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2014, 03:29 AM

Default My A1C Won't Go Down...

No matter how hard I try.. And keep working to get my bloodsugars under control and to eat better and keep up on everything ... My A1C won't go down. No matter what. It was 11.3.. Then it went down to 10.2... Now it's back up to 10.5.. I'm about to give up... What am I supposed to do? I'm hoping this app will give me the motivation to keep going strong...
Old 05-14-2014, 02:06 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to canadawalrus

It is so imperative that you keep following you treatment regiment and keep working with your doctor. Trust me, I know how hard t can be and how easy it is to just say screw it, because I did that.

I am a 37 year old male who lives in Canada but was a firefighter/EMT and worked part time as a bouncer. in Maryland in a suburb of Washington DC and I came to the screw it point.

Now I am almost bedridden, I have been out of the house 5 times in the last 2 years, I sleep up to 20 hours a day. I have neuropathy badly where I take narcotics for pain ( Dr. prescribed) 10 times more powerful than Morphine. I went from 300lbs to 170lbs in 3 months. Yesterday my A1c was 17.2. It is not unusual to see my sugar around 40.0 mmol/L ( 720 mg/dl) when it is that high a meter can no longer read my blood sugar as it has to be read in a Lab with a blood draw. Not to mention the complete non existant bedroom life, NONE in over 2 years.
2 weeks ago Friday I just got out of the hospital. I went into Diabetic Keto Acidosis (DKA) (which can be fatal) and my body was throwing Ketones and I was close to a coma. My Potassium was almost no existent and my electrolytes were WAY off. My body was eating away and doing damage to my liver, kidneys and pancreas. My blood was so acidic it was eating away at my brain to the point if i waited another 24-48 hours before coming into er, the dr said it would have caused so much brain damage it would have killed me. If my sugars keep high and I do not take care of myself, I will start to become confused, then forget names ect until I become a vegetable.

Statistics tell my doctors that I will probably go blind, lose at least 1 leg and end up dying of multiple organ failure.

I tell you this not to say look at me, poor me. But to tell you this ALL could have been avoided if I had not said screw it and slacked off on my pills, insulin and diet. I screwed my life because I was lazy and I kick my ass for it everyday, PLEASE do not let yourself slip.

If you have questions that cannot be answered on this forum or just wanna chat drop me a line.

Take care and God Bless

Stephen Charlton

519-719-6997 (Cell) (Text)
canadawalrus@gmail.com (Personal)
Skype Stephen.charlton911
God Bless