FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2010, 04:30 PM

Wink Hello from Belfast!

Hi,

Its great to see such a varied list of member locations on the forum. I am 31 years 'young' and have had T1 since 1990. I enjoy playing football and doing a bit of running to keep fit. (Ran a Marathan last year).

I am on the search for the Holy Grail (an A1C of 6.0)

My doctor tells me that I am fairly well controlled and my recent A1C was 7.6. I am hoping that Glucose Buddy will help me towards my goal.

I love my gadgets, so I took great pleasure in shreading and burning my paper logbook in favour of the GB app. It also gives me the added incentive of testing more regularly and not just the few weeks before my checkup, as was the case before. The doctors are well impressed with the new app and its print-outs.

Since using the app I have taken a closer interest in my carb counting and hope that GB develop their food section further, to help ease my daily battle.

Not much else to say...other than I am determined to not let Diabetes stop me from doing anything I want to do!

ATB

Minto
Old 05-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

minto2k;

Welcome to the Forum! Well done on your control!

I also am using the GB App to lower my A1c. So far it is working very well. I went from 11.3% on 12/22/09 to 6.9% on 03/29/10 and expect my next lab report to be in the low to mid 5% range. I hope that GB works as well for you as it has for me.

Danny
Old 05-24-2010, 10:50 PM

Default Keep up the good work, Minto!

Although it's been 40 years since I flew out of Aldergrove after 2 years in Derry and on top of Benbradagh (outside Dungiven) with the Navy, my eye is always grabbed by anything in/from/mentioning N.I. I always thought I'd retire there.
Having just crossed over into T2 after lots of years of keeping shy of it, it's great to see an athlete managing the T1 so well; I hope you get your Grail. --Sean-O
Old 05-28-2010, 02:09 PM

Lol @ "The Holy Grail". . My doctor just told me I am to join that very same expedition. Shall we call in Indiana Jones? . Seriously though, all the best in the common quest!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:43 AM

Thanks Sean O & Hannah for taking the time to repsond.

My sugar levels have just settled down again after a weather dependant peak and trough. It happens a few times a year, mainly when the weather changes. Weird! I end up reducing or increasing my dose by about a 5th over the space of a few days, for no apparent reason.

Hope your controls ok...
Old 06-11-2010, 02:45 AM

Teas my pleasure Minto! My last A1c was 6.8...working on it! Have seen better (6.4), and worse 7.+
Again, all the best! 
Old 06-22-2010, 12:13 PM

Ok,

Just a quick update. My latest A1c was 6.9, the lowest I have ever had it. Extremely pleased with this...

The consultant has also taken me off Lantus and put me on Levemir, in a bid to reduce my hypos, which are mostly stemming from my activities. It is hoped that staggering my long term insulin into two smaller doses will give me better control and more options.

One night time injection of lantus will be replaced with two shots of Levemir; one at lunch and one before bed.

It will be interesting to see how much further I can get my A1c down while keeping the sport up too! Anyone else sporty with a really lower A1c than 7??? Tips would be most welcome.

Tags
a1c, belfast, gadgets, sport, weather