FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2010, 05:32 PM

Question What are the numbers..Going crazy!!

They just diagnosed my husband with type 2 diabetes. They really did not tell him what he is supposed to look for. He tested 126 and 121 fasting. Then we got his meds they gave him 500mg Metformin twice a day. We are going into day 2.. He tested 115 at 1 pm yesterday, 143 at 3:20 pm, 146 7:10pm, then he tested at 142 after waking this morning at 6 am, I gave him a light breakfast of 1/2 a whole wheat whole grain bagel w/ 1tbsp of cashew butter and 1 tsp of splenda strawberry preserves and a small glass of almond milk. he started feeling a little weak and light headed around 9 am after being on his feet for about 1 1/2 at our business, we tested and his number was 115. He then had a light snack of 1 tbsp Hummus and about 6 whole wheat baked organic snack chips. We have searched everywhere and do not know what his normal numbers should be at and when we should panic, one pharmacist said to have glucose tablets handy when he feels light headed, another said the numbers are drastically changing, one said call if you get 70 or above 200. No one has explained to us what we are doing. I have snacks on hand for him of celery and carrot sticks, organic whole wheat whole grain flatbreads and baked snack chips, hummus and apple juice. I am in charge of his diet and I have regulated his saturated fat and have replaced his saturated fats with whole wheat whole grain foods, and more veggies. Please help we have not a clue what we are doing.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:44 PM

Default Call your doctor's office and ask for help

You really need to call the doctor's office and ask for some help. They should be able to give you guidelines, like under 70, over 200, or trends to look for, or fasting glucose numbers to be concerned about. However, the best thing they can probably do for you at this point is to refer you to a nutritionist who can help you understand when he should be testing and what to look for in the numbers.

Don't try to go it alone, make your doctor's office help you, but also use sites like diabetesmine.com to suss out information. There are some good discussions available but you have to seek them out. Above all, don't panic. Your husband didn't develop this condition overnight, he won't diminish it overnight.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:41 PM

Default What are the numbers....Going crazy!!!

When fasting....it should fall between 80 - 120. My counselor recommends that it doesn't go above 160. For a male....he can eat up to 60g of carbohydrates per meal. That will equal four carbs. Hope this helps!

Tags
diabetes, info, numbers, question, testing