FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2010, 03:03 PM

Default After exercise--when should I test my blood sugar?

Good morning,

I just got back from a 4 mile bike ride and my Blood sugar level spiked. from 150 to 181. The spike included breakfast. I tested my Blood Sugar Levels about 15 minutes after the end of the bike ride. I know this is a newbie question, but I am a newbie. Thanks for your help.

Bryan
Old 06-06-2010, 06:33 PM

is this concept for type 1 only or do you feel it is the same for type 2?
Old 07-07-2010, 06:21 AM

Have a look at this site it might help
http://www.runsweet.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=2
Old 11-01-2010, 05:10 AM

I find the same when I exercise, though I peak a later sometimes an hour or two, (in australian terms from about 6.0 (100ish) before exercising, to about 14 (~250) or more. If an evening exercise session, I have normal dinner, normal insulin, and it comes down all by itself overnight to below 6.0 again in the morning - even sometimes a hypo. My Doc says its normal too, but I still feel the high sugar!

I am experimenting with jabbing a very small dose before exercise (like 1 unit) with a few jelly beans - me thinks it may ease or stop the body having an 'energy crisis' on/during exercise, and prevent/reduce the spike from gluconeogenesis?
Old 01-22-2011, 05:41 PM

I'm currently having the same problem. I usually work out sometime after supper( usually weights or gymnastics), and afterwards my sugars remain high until bed. But then im waking up low! I'm wondering if being high for those couple hours post work out is bad for my health? And is there a better way to control things? I'm also wanting to increase the amount of cardio I do, but I feel like I have to consume the amount of carbs I'm going to burn in intense cardio to prevent going low, which makes me wonder what benefit I'm gaining from this kind of a workout. Health care workers seem unable to offer suggestions, but I'd really like to learn more about diabetes management and exercise! Any help is appreciated!!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:51 PM

Default I was having a lot of problems like this

And I take Lantus along with Humalog.. My practitioners suggested splitting the dose of Lantus instead of taking it all at night before I go to bed.. I experimented with taking 1/2 of the dose in the am and the other half in the pm... this has really helped with going low at night and I take a chisel class a couple times a week at night.
So currently I take 18 u of Lantus in the am and then 14 in the evening.. I still end up doing a little snack before bed if I worked out that night.
Like a couple saltines or a yogurt.. So far its been working good for me.

Kristen
Old 10-05-2011, 10:45 AM

My Endo said to check after work out to make sure not low but it is normal to spike during or right after a work out. She said this is a 'false reading" due to adrenaline. She told me to wait 90 minutes for a true reading. But also to be careful of the 2-8 hour drop following the work out.
Hope that makes sense!!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:46 PM

The body store sugar (glucose/glycogen) in the muscles and liver. When exercising the body releases the energy to the bloodstream to be able to consume it and bg goes up, when consumed the bg will drop relating to the amount of exercise you do. If I lift weights it might cut bg a few numbers but most times it doesn't show at all. Lifting weights tough but is low cardio compared to bicycling for example. So the energy needed when biking is more over a shorter time while lifting weights consume energy over a longer time period (up to 48hrs)

Diabetics don't differ from non-diabetics in the way the body works regarding the use of energy. One should always be sure to have enough energy before a workout, and try to keep things balanced. If a person starts off with a lower 4-6 mmol/l before exercise it's more likely that the person goes hypo during extreme exercise without even feeling it and that's why a blood sugar measurement after training often spikes. This is a false positive due to the body converting glycogen in the liver to glycose and pumps it out into the blood. The bg drops soon after and sometimes really fast after this "high". I've gone from 9mmol/l to 2.8mmol/l in 10 minutes after finishing a long tough ride on my cross-country bike. If no new energy is consumed during or after exercise, the bg might lower in a slow pase and drop to dangerous low levels after a few hours. So, if one exercise extremely tough a few hour before bed that person should check bg and eat something to not drop to much during sleep.

My dad did the classic and exercised over a whole day (go-kart training) and didn’t eat right. In the evening the bg looked normal and he took insulin with supper and went to bed. Luckily he made so much noise going into hypo chock my brother woke and managed to stuff dad with sugar. If I remember right my dad had a 1.8mmol/l. So, the big warning is, do NOT treat a high bg after workout as a "high", it's most certainly a false positive.