FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2013, 07:35 PM

Default Pregnancy Tests & Diabetes

Does anyone know if Type 2 Diabetes can affect pregnancy tests if your blood glucose is not under control? I realize that if you have diabetes that your blood glucose should be under control before getting pregnant. But, birth control can fail at times. I got pregnant when I was on the Nuva Ring and the patch birth control in the past before I was diagnosed with diabetes. Back then with my first pregnancy, I didn't know that I was pregnant until I was 5 months along. Pregnancy tests came up negative until I was 5 months along and that includes a blood test.

I had some abnormal bleeding problems, and they had done tests thinking I might have PCOS. They told me that my blood glucose levels were Pre Diabetic at that time just before getting pregnant. They did rule out PCOS, but I'm wondering if the Pre Diabetes could have been a cause of false negative pregnancy tests. I know that when our blood glucose is high we drink a lot more fluids and go to the bathroom a lot and so I was thinking that might alter results on a home urine pregnancy test.

Just some curiosity here and wondering what other people's knowledge and experiences are.
I sincerely hope this doesn't happen again now that I've got Type 2 Diabetes and not just Pre Diabetes because I know it wouldn't be healthy for me or the baby with my Diabetes not being under control yet. (My doctor and I are working closely and in my opinion efficiently to get my levels lowered.)

Thank you for all input.

Tags
abnormal vaginal bleeding, diabetes type 2, pcos