FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2014, 06:26 AM

Default Frustrated

Hey everyone. I just discovered this app and am excited to hopefully connect with people going through the same things as I am. I am 19 years old and have been diabetic since I was eight. I got an insulin pump at age ten and was very well controlled until age 18 when things started getting much harder to control. Everything seemed to go out of whack after I turned 19, frequent ER trips for sugars that wouldn't read and two episodes of DKA within one month. It's been an uphill battle. Recently I have switched back to needles to try and gain better control. The consensus is that there was too much scar tissue in my stomach from the pump sites and nothing should be injected there for the next six months or so. Has anyone else had similar experiences? This has all been so frustrating seeing as I've been so well controlled my whole life. Hoping for some answers and support
Old 01-31-2014, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Forum!

I have heard of the scar tissue problem, although I have not had it yet. Generally, the doctors know best, do what they tell you; test often, take the insulin as directed and you will get through this. Good luck with your control and management.

Danny
Old 01-31-2014, 02:36 PM

Thank you ultimately it was my decision based on their advice but with each day I am more confident that I am doing the right thing it was a very difficult adjustment after having a pump attached for over 10 years it became like a part of me. The first night I slept without it I had make separation anxiety, every time I turned over I went to reach for it and it wasn't there then I would panic thinking I forgot to reconnect. Even now when changing I reach for it sometimes and have a mini panic attack when I realize it isn't there, then realize that it's ok. It gets better with each day but I'm so glad to have found this place where others understand what you're goin through because bottom line is unless you live it you don't truly know
Old 01-31-2014, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jew502 View Post
......I'm so glad to have found this place where others understand what you're goin through because bottom line is unless you live it you don't truly know
You got that right! We are all in this together.

Danny
Old 01-31-2014, 04:20 PM

As one we are weak but together we are strong