FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2013, 02:44 PM

Default How I fixed my diabetes!

Sounds too good to be true, but it worked for me!

My family doctor put me on metformin because my A1C hit 6.0. After 9-12 months of exercise and losing weight (40 lbs) my A1C hit 6.3.

FIX:
I love diet coke to the point i'm almost addicted to it and the more I worked out the more diet coke I was drinking (increasing my A1c). I read on the internet (so it must be true) that a study show that diet soda can increase the A1C giving an increased false reading. My daily BS readings did not match my A1C so I gave up diet soda just to see what would happen. Three months later my A1C was 5.7 which matched my BS averages.

I thought a A1C of 5.7 was good, read on.................

One year later I found out I had low (almost no) testosterone. Now once a week, I get a testosterone injection. With the testosterone fixed, I now have tons of energy, a great sex life and I feel like a million bucks. AS A BONUS my BS is 83-89 every morning, thats a 15-20 point drop!

Im sure this won't work for most people, but just maybe this might help someone.

Also, looking back, I tried to explain to my family doctor and my dietitian that my daily BS readings were a little high, but never over the limit, but no one really listened. The only advice I got was diet, exercise and keep taking your meds. I ask about diet soda raising increasing the A1C, but everyone just looked at me funny and said "huh".

I don't think I was ever really diabetic, I was just misdiagnosed by a doctor that rushed in and rushed out and would not listen to what I was trying to tell him. I now have a new doctor.

Checkout these links:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/22...and-diet-soda/
http://diabeteshealth.com/read/2008/12/15/6018/
Old 06-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Congratulation! It looks like you have it figured out. Thanks for sharing.

Danny
Old 08-21-2013, 10:03 PM

Default Diet Coke Urban Myths

Interestingly, the LiveStrong link that was posted states, "Diet soda contains no carbs. While regular soda is sweetened with sugar or high fructose corn syrup, diet sodas are sweetened with artificial sweeteners, including aspartame, or NutraSweet; sodium cyclamate; saccharin, or Sweet N Low; neotame; and sucralose, or Splenda. These sweeteners do not affect blood sugar levels and do not affect insulin levels."

Also, the same article points out that most studies attributing diet drinks to health issues fail to associate cause and effect. For example, many people who drink diet sodas also have poor nutrition for which they drink diet soda to "compensate". Hence, poorly conducted studies claim that people drink diet soda and thus have health issues. Not quite correct but many people use these studies as "proof" where more legitimate studies say just the opposite. Of course drinking and eating most ANYTHING to excess is bad so anyone drinking diet soda by the case is asking for something or another. Just don't see where it would affect blood sugar readings - as stated by the article quoted.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:26 AM

I have read in the past, that the ingredients within diet sodas will start to mimic sugar within the body of a diabetic (and/or the body will start to associate the Ingredients of the diet soda with actual sugar), thus causing the blood sugar to be actually elevated when ingesting the artificially sweetened products!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:07 AM

I had an interesting experience with coke zero. I was wearing a real time glucose monitor.
I found that after dinner my sugars had stabilised and then I drank a can of coke zero. My bloods spiked. Is it possible that the acid in the coke in ready the bioavailability of the food I had eaten? A theory...
Old 01-05-2015, 12:10 PM

Give up on the diet sodas. I did two years ago. Now I can't do without iced tea! I love love love iced tea. I also gave up granulated sugar two years ago. But I do use Equal
Old 01-12-2016, 04:11 PM

Artificial sweeteners are just as bad in a different way than sugar. They cause no end of health problems, inflammation, and leaky gut. JERF: Just Eat Real Food.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:52 AM

Diet soda is nonsense! I have stopped drinking all forms of soda years ago and I'm much better off.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:21 AM

All DIEt drinks are poison. When I stopped drinking them cold turkey I actually had withdrawal symptoms. Abdominal pain/ discomfort and sleeplessness. Water and UNsweet tea is my drank now.

Tags
testosterone aspertame