FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is this Thread Helpful?
Yes 2 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2010, 11:00 PM

Default PCOS and Type 2 Diabetes Link

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and the Link to Type 2 Diabetes--

Have any of you ladies ever heard of it? Let me ask a few questions...

Have you had trouble with fertility? Have acne? Have trouble with your periods or lose them all together? Do you have thinning hair at a relatively young age? Have you started to grow dark hair on your face; on your chin, along the jaw line, etc... Have you started to put on weight? And have you been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes?

PCOS is an imbalance of the male sex hormone androgen in females, we all produce a tiny amount of male’s sex hormone, but in PCOS, they get out of balance. When this goes untreated for a significant period of time, it can lead to a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes, in addition to a gamut of other problems.

I had terrible acne as a pre-teen & teenager; I stopped having regular periods at age 16 and struggled with infertility for 8 years before my 2 children were born at ages 26 & 28. I started growing dark hair under my chin right after I turned 19 and didn't think much about it. After all, my mother's hair was dark. I started gaining weight before the children were born and just figured I was eating too much and not exercising enough. The hair on my face kept growing until finally, I starting shaving it and tweezing it everyday. Electrolysis didn't help much.

I saw one of those Mystery Diagnosis shows and the woman's symptoms where the same as mine. I finally know what was going on, PCOS. I went to my GYN, and unfortunately, wasn't taken very seriously, just keep shaving, I was told. With the exception of the hair growth, I wasn't really bothered by the symptoms, besides, it was GREAT not having a period to worry about. I haven't had one now in almost 12 years.

Then, a little over a year ago, after routine blood work, my doctor tells me my blood sugar is too high, time for the 2 hour fasting test. A couple of days later, she tells me, I have Type 2 Diabetes. After talking to a different GYN and a bit more research online, I finally learn about the correlation between PCOS and Diabetes.

Sorry this is so long... Just wanted to get my story out there and see what anyone else has to say...

Thanks in advance for listening...

KT in FL
Old 04-08-2010, 01:19 AM

Default PCOS mystery

Hi KT,
I read your post and wondered how you are treating your PCOS? A few years ago a doctor told me she thought I had PCOS and put me on a drug called Glucophage which made me feel awful (nausea and diarrhea) so I stopped taking it. I also got a different doctor and they didn't believe in the syndrome. It's been about 6 years now and I believe I am about to be diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.
JW
Eastern Washington
Old 05-10-2010, 08:12 PM

Default PCOS information

Thanks for this info, KT. I have all the same symptoms as you. My periods stopped at about the same time I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I never connected them, but I'm pretty sure they coincided. Since they stopped at about age 55, I assumed it was menopause. However, I have been shaving my chin since I was a young woman, have always had irregular periods, had pretty bad acne and weight gain.

I am going to look into this further.

Thanks again,

Karen
Old 07-08-2010, 04:06 PM

Sorry that I haven't logged in recently to see your reply to my post JW. At the time of my orignal post, I was taking 2000 mg of Metformin Daily (my OBGYN doubled the dose I was already taking to treat my PCOS), in addition to other meds. I also have chronic Migraines and between that and the other meds, I was Migraining weekly, which is no way to live. I am on Topomax for the Migraines. I'm now taking Janumet for the T2 Diabetes and am also taking Spirolactone, a diuretic that is prescribed for PCOS. It has helped the abnormal hair growth TREMENDOUSLY!! It has also helped me with weight loss and mood swings.

I hope this helps others out there.

KT in FL
Old 08-07-2010, 06:36 AM

Aloha,

I can relate. I had PCOS since the age of 15 and had a hard time getting preg. I was on metformin and spinolocaton and it helped me tremendously. I recently underwent ivf and am currently 26 weeks preg. So there is hope ladies

Be well.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:00 AM

I started the other way around, when I was told I had PCOS they told me I would most likely get T2 diabetes also. They started watching my sugars (fasting test every year) and I was doing well for about 10 years until I got sick from something totally different. It was bad enough that I got run down and the diabetes suddenly swooped in.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:39 PM

Default Large babies

Hi everyone,
I do not have PCOS, as far as I know, but I was told when I had my children, 30 + years ago, that one day I would develope type 2 Diabetes. This was because my children were very big. My first weiged 9 lbs., and my second was 11 lbs. needless to say, their was no third! Anyway, I was wondering if any of you had a simmilar diagnosis? I was just diagnossed with type 2, just like they predicted. How did they know??
Old 03-06-2011, 02:26 AM

Smile

apparently I had pcos since I was 12, but didnt know till my doctor mentioned it at age 17 when I was seeing her for non periods!, back then they never linked it with type 2, but sure enough at 21 I got it! I also have an underactive thyroid which is also connected apparently. H
ad I have known I would have tried to prevent it with better diet etc. anyway I have all the problems associated with it and I have to say sometimes it really all gets me down. I had to have fertility treatment battling constantly with the doctors to get it because I was overweight! when I finally got one who said well u are overweight!!!! no shit sherlock! but then u do have pcos & and underactive thyroid, which doesnt help, but loose more wieght!grrrr but he gave me the treatment I had a boy, then boy / girl twins, so we struck lucky, they didnt however tell you how sick the babies are when they are born to a mother with these issues, & yes they let me know all the time how they had this wrong with them because of the insulin, the thyroxin, the obesity blah blah blah! Ohhhh The Guilt, I have spent a lot of time trying to release those feelings, it has not been easy!

For the hairyness I have IPL laser treatment, and over 5 years I only go maybe once every 3 months now, it has been great.

For the thinning hair, I finally managed to find a hairdresser that although has thin hair has lots of it, and could manage mine OK, not as well as u get to manage your own hair, but OK, she also uses a process called splicing to colour it, and its great, when the regrowth comes thru its not dramatic.
I have to say though , I Have always left a hairdresser feeling crap, when all they ever say is oh my you really have got thin hair havn't u! grrrr

As for the mood swings, I am lukcy to have a supportive husband, the main key is communication! I just try and tell him when I feel it niggling.

I have not had a period in 12 months, and I have gained 12 kilos because of it, it doesnt seem to matter how much I excercise, eat healthily etc, I fluctuate within 15 kilos of the same weight.
I suffer heaps from depression, but have just learnt to live with it, and recognise it,
I have days where I dont even want to get out of bed, i am so tired, but then with 3 children u have to ! :0)
I have 2 sisters with it as well, although not quite as advanced, and a friend, whom tells me daily that I am her salvation otherwise she would just go mad !
So that's my story, its so nice to read about others.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:13 PM

I was told I had PCOS three or four years ago, my case is not bad as far as hair on my face but I have zero periods and no children due to infertility. I was not given diagnosis until I saw a female gyn.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:15 PM

And I was recently told I had type 2. I am 33 now and have not had a period with the exception on med induced since I was 19.

Tags
acne, infertility, pcos, weight gain