FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2010, 10:04 AM

Default Lo Carb diet

ok,

When I was diagnosed with T1 (1990) I was encouraged to eat a high carb diet, as part of a growing teenagers nutritional plan. I am now 31 and reasonably sporty and I am conscious that for my long term benefit I need to try to limit the peaks and troughs of my blood glucose levels.

So recently I was sitting on a plane bound for England for the day and suddenly realised that I had forgotten my insulin pen! After total panic cleared from my internals, I decided that I would eat nothing for the next 9 hours until I got back home. Of course a little sense set back in after an hour or so (or until belly rumbling got the better of me). In truth, a spate of frys and salads ensued.

Results:
My sugar levels remained constant all day and required just a mild level of carbs to keep me going (like milk in my coffee, etc) and I was never hungry at any point.

So this got me thinking: why don't I do this more??? I don't want to go onto the Atkins diet or anything, but I would like to know if anyone else in the forum has dabbled with this sort of diet on a longer term basis? And how have they been able to incorporate exercise into their lifestyle? (as I would presume that this diet might result in a more lathargic feeling????)
Old 05-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

minto2k;

If you are taking a basal (long-term) dosage of insulin: Is this not the way it is should work, if the doseage is setup correctly?

Check out this website, if you get a chance. The information on low carbing is on there in several different locations. I am a firm believer in counting carbs, I do this every day. I am not on a low carb diet, as I do not think this is healthy for me. I guess you could call my diet a low to medium carb diet. Good Luck, with the low carbing!

Danny

Last edited by dano; 05-04-2010 at 12:22 PM.