FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2011, 05:37 AM

Default How many injections do you take a day?

Hi everyone,
New here, I was just wondering how often everyone on here takes their insulin shots? I know this is a question that can be answered a million different ways, but Im just trying to get a bit of guidance... I take around 3 a day, and was wondering if that is too little/too much compared to others... I am now just starting to stabilize my sugars after having type 1 for over 5 years. Any feedback would be amazing! Thanks!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

I take a minimum of five (5) per day.

Danny
Old 04-13-2011, 10:27 AM

I take 4 per day, 1 bfast, 1 lunch, 1 dinner, 1 bedtime(slow release). Am type 1 diagnosed feb 2011.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:40 PM

I take mine as often as I have to. I started out taking one injection (NovoRapid) before breakfast, lunch, dinner and a slow (Lantus/Levemir) before bed. Nowadays I regularly take one before breakfast and one before dinner. I take my slow before going to bed.
I've read and tried to see what I could to with the morning shot. If I get up and eat breakfast at round 6 AM, I can take a shot of 4 units and hold a steady blood sugar until lunch at which time I don't need a new shot. (I used to take one with lunch) But if I wait with breakfast until say, 8-9 AM, I need at least a shot of 6 units and I may or may not take a shot for lunch. I read something about "morning purge" for insulin, I asked my doctor who explained something about cortisone that the body releases during morning hours that counterfeit the insulin working from the slow injection the evening before.
So, on a good day, I take a shot to breakfast and a slow shot before bedtime. I always take a shot if eat something heavy with sugar, say a cake to coffee or sweets with a movie.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:52 AM

Hey,

I'm 13 and these are my doses;

NovoMix 30 - Before breakfast

Apidra - Before evening meal

Lantus - Before bed

-Mark
Old 06-26-2011, 07:02 PM

From what I've read, no 2 persons are alike. Please allow me to ask, why are you looking to find out how people self administer their insulin? If your system is working well with 3 injections per day, that should be sufficient. There's no too little or too much...it what's needed for your body/system.

All right here's the info you asked.

Newly diagnosed with T1 (Dec 2010) so I'm still following my endocrinologist's advise. So far so good!

NovoRapid b4 each meal and Levemir at 11pm.

Plus let's not forget that according to my endo I'm still in the HoneyMoon phase so this may all change in the weeks/months to come!

Good luck in your search and congratulations for having stabilized your sugar.

"Diabetes is a manageable condition not an handicap!"

Tags
blood sugar, injections, insulin