FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2011, 03:42 AM

Default Type 2--17 years

Was diagnosed type 2 about 17 years ago. Sad to say, but I have pretty much been in denial about it ever since. I am just now starting to take it seriously.

I take two Metformin 500 mg per day. (I used to take five per day.). I don't seem to have enough willpower at this point to stop eating sweets. My last a1c was a little over 6; and I feel best when my blood sugar is around 140.

I keep thinking that I won't get serious about my diabetes until something serious happens, like having to go on insulin. My mother developed type 1 as a child, and she only lived to be 48. I am now 49.

I'm starting to notice highs and lows more; they're starting to affect how I feel. I think this is a good thing cuz it makes me more aware of my illness.

Thank you for creating this forum. I have learned a lot here already. Even tho I've had type 2 for a while, ant support or encouragement would be appreciated. I have a diabetes check with my doctor later this week. Also going to talk to him about weight loss.

Funny thing, I never used to think about having diabetes. Now that it seems to be affecting how I feel, I am thinking about it constantly. It's scaring me now, maybe because I'm older.

Anyway, sorry this is so long. Thanks for reading.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Forum!

Your story was an interesting read. It pretty much takes a lifestyle change to control and maintain the Diabetes disease. If you are needing to loose weight you can incorporate that into your management along with exercise. It took becoming insulin dependent for me to really take this disease seriously. Trust me when I say that you don't want to take the minimum five (5) shots per day (and up to six or even eight if I am having a bad day) if you don't have to. Read and study all you can in order to beat the high blood sugar numbers down. The Blood Sugar 101 Thread, in the T2 Section, is a good read and has a lot of useful information. Carb counting, along with exercise, has helped me to loose fifty pounds and honestly I could probably stand to loose a few more.

Good luck with your control and management. I wish you well in your efforts.

Danny