FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2011, 06:49 PM

Default About metformin

Was curious to know if there is a medication out there better than metformin. It works for me but seems to give me diarrhea all the time, my endroconolgist says that this is common. Not trying to be gross, but rather something I can do to stop this reaction.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Forum!

There is no drug that I know of better than Metformin. The stomach problems usually go away after a few weeks, when the body gets used to the meds. This is not always the case, but most times works that way.

Danny
Old 04-16-2011, 02:58 AM

Thanks for the welcome... I have been on metformin for two years... I'm getting used to it, but it's rather sort of embarrassing.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:06 AM

10 yrs using metfartin taken qith food Very bad diarrhea that wouldn't go away. I tried other generics which improved it. Still had it. Changed to glucophage recently and diarrhea gone.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:26 PM

My insurance won't cover glucafage.... That's a bummer, maybe my endo will do a prior authorization for me... Who knows, we'll see.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:28 PM

I usually take metformin first thing in the morning with a high fiber cereal. I also take two fiber caps in the middle of the day (between all my meds). That seems to help firm things up. When I first started metformin, I did not have loose diarhea but my stools had a dissolving look to them in the bowl. That only lasted about two weeks. I am only on a 500 mg dose so maybe that is why.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:53 PM

I've been taking Duetact since I was diagnosed with T2 in August 2011. Numbers had gotten stable, if a bit low. 75 before lunch (after a good breakfast) was a bit low, but I felt fine. I did not like the weight I was gaining, though. And that was causing the weight gain, my doctor stopped that medication about three weeks ago and suddenly my prosthesis was MUCH looser. No changes in diet. My numbers have been creeping up a bit, so she is starting me on Metformin tomorrow. I'll start it once a day, with my largest meal and after a week go to twice a day. I'm a little worried about the side effects...a run to the bathroom could be a close thing middle of the night if I have to stop and put my foot on first...does taking a fiber suppiment, especially at first, help with the side effects?
Old 07-04-2011, 05:19 PM

Same issues here with Metformin. The Diabetes Education Nurse said to take Metformin AFTER meal. It has helped.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:12 PM

Default Just started taking

Hi,

I have just started taking Metformin tonight, I was told to take it after food, hopefully that will help.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:28 AM

I have been on Metformin for about 1 and 1/2 months. My Dr. started me out with a small dose and gradually increased the dosage. At first, I had the big D but now I am up to 1500 dosage a day and the big D has stopped. My sugar levels have improved. But the weight I was losing has stopped also. I would almost rather have the big D if I could continue to lose the weight.

Tags
metformin