FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2010, 07:59 PM

Smile Too Tall

Hi, I am Robert. I am 58 yo and newly diagnosed with diabetes that I have probably had for 2 years but may have had for as long as 20 years. Based on my age at diagnosis I am probably a type 2 diabetic but I don't know the type with any certainty yet, and I don't seem to make much insulin, so it is possible but unlikely that I have type 1 diabetes. I am not now obese and I lost a lot of weight in the 2 years before my diagnosis, more than 100 pounds, and an additional 15 to 20 pounds in the 2 months before my diagnosis that I have gained back in the month since I was started on Lantus, Glyburide, Metformin and an ACE inhibitor to protect my kidneys. I did not really have high blood pressure, with all blood pressures less than 140 over less than 90. My BMI was 28.5 at the time of my diagnosis about 1 month ago. I have no history of DKA or positive urine ketones. I have no other diseases that I know of. I have perpherial neuropathy that may be advanced. I do not have kidney involvement that I know of but this has not been tested yet. I have not seen an opthalmologist yet but had no retinopathy at mylast eye exam 1 to 2 years ago. I am tall. I was diagnosed with diabetes due to a lab report from a lfe insurance physical takenalmost 1 year ago, buti did not receive the report until 5 or 6 weeks ago because it was sent to the wrong address. On that report my FBS was 330mg% and my Hgb A1c was 13.5%. my initial blood glucose determinations in the week or two before I was started on insulin were in the same range, averaging in the mid-300's and ranging from the 200's to 450+. I had been very tired for a very long time and had extreme pyuria and polydipsia for at least 2 year with the peripheral neuropathy probably starting more than 1 1/2 years ago. In retrospect it should have been obvious to me at least 1 1/2 years ago that I had diabetes but I have no history of diabetes in my family and many older people in my family, maybe most, have perpheral neuropathy including both of my parents. I come from a tall family and being tall is a risk factor for perpheral neuropathy. I thought that drinking a lot of ice water was my trick to losing weight without effortand the tiredness was due to theweight loss.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Robert;

Welcome to the Forum!

WOW! It is bad enough to be diagnosed with Diabetes, but to find out nearly a year later, after a lab test, with some lab tech filling in the wrong address is just a practice of bad lab management. I am sorry that this happened to you and I am glad that you survived the year without the medicines that you should have had a long time ago. I hope that you find the answer to all your questions here in the forum.

Danny

Tags
neuropathy, new diagnosis, type 2 diabetes, weight loss