FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2011, 04:52 AM

Default Byetta

I am wondering if anyone has experience with Byetta? I am thinking about asking my doctor about it. I currently take Metformin 1000mg, and I am about 70 lbs overweight. My pharmacist suggested I ask my doc about Byetta.

So I'm wondering, what are the side effects, how long do they last, etc. Is it just one injection a day or multiple times? How does it work for weight loss? Is it expensive?

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:14 AM

Default Byetta

I have been on Byetta about 2 years. I didn't have any side effects. Lost weight with it. Its twice a day. It did make a big difference in my glucose levels......
Old 01-21-2011, 07:16 AM

BYETTA WARNING it has a major side effect that is not well known, it will make you very short tempered and mean. It took almost a year for the side effect to hit me. Other effects is it will make you very nauseated but that will go away over time. I liked Byetta until the bad effect happened. Lost weight and lowered my A1C to 6. I am now on Victoza which is similar to Byetta without the side effects and it's only a once a day injection vs 2 a day with Byetta. Victoza is new been out only a year this month and is very expensive.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:15 PM

My doctor decided against putting me on Byetta at this time. He said it is an analog insulin, and he wants me to watch my diet and start excersizing.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:56 PM

I was on Byetta 2 years ago (in NY upstate) for 2 weeks. After vomiting every single day 1 hr after injection my Dr took me off it. Then I moved last year & now new Dr (in VT) wants to put me back on it. Scared I'll go thru the same experience again.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:27 PM

Victoza is much better easier to comply with and you get less/no nausea with it.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:23 PM

I used it for almost 2 years it made me very nauseas for 2 weeks and off and on the full time I used it. It tells you to eat within the hour after injection however my diabetes educator said to try 1 1/2 hrs and that was better
I have been a diabetic for 35yrs. I am pretty much in my weight zone so no big loss for me
My dr states many of her overweight patients have been very successful with weight loss. I think more due to nausea but could be from not ad Hungary but if you eat just "because" do not expect to much
Walk, walk, and then walk some more and be honest with you carb intake that includes fruits and starchy veggies
Good luck to you
Old 03-11-2011, 08:52 AM

I have been using Byetta for nearly a year all good has lowered my a1c to 6.4 and lost over 2 stone in weight no side effects that I know of
Old 03-11-2011, 03:36 PM

My husband used it for about 2 years. He was not happy with the side effects and would take it once a day to avoid them. He had nausea and vomiting, and it made him not hungry. He lost about 30 pounds, but it was very hard on him. Finally he told the doctor he would rather take insulin.

Now he's taking a long-acting insulin (injected by him once a day) and no nausea or vomiting! His glucose levels are similar to what they were on the Byetta. He's much happier with this.

I wouldn't warn people not to try Byetta, but if you do and experience nausea that happens whenever you inject it, and it continues for more than a month, I would reconsider.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:19 PM

Glad I read this as my doctor had suggested Byetta to me. I did not want to inject myself so instead worked harder on getting my carbs down. Even then my bs remained high and the next time instead he upped my Metformin 1/2 tab and so far it looks like it is helping me. Glad I found this site where I can learn from more experienced diabetics.