FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2015, 03:54 PM

Default I don't know what I am doing...

Hi all,
I am new to all of this and my Dr has not been very helpful. He let the nurse tell me I have Type 2 sending her in with a brown lunch bag full of pamphlets and prescriptions.

I have been on line seeking information on what to do now but it's all so much information! One site says don't eat apples other site says eat apples they are fine! While still another site says you may eat only one slice of an apple?!?!? Good grief!!!

Also I have heard if you lose weight you can get rid of diabetes but Dr says no it's a lifetime sentence!!!! :-( and I feel overwhelmed and good lord can I eat this?!? And how the heck do you find anything with low carbs??? Meanwhile I am like ok family... Who gave me this gene?!?!

What do I do now?

Anybody else feel this way?
Old 07-11-2015, 05:39 PM

I think it's safe to say that we all felt this way with the diagnosis. I know I did. I was diagnosed in the beginning of May. I've spent hours and hours reading articles online. Yes, a lot of them contradict each other. I think it comes down to everyone reacts a little different to different foods. I test my BG way more than I should because I'm always experimenting with different foods to see what works and what doesn't. For instance oat bran with berries for breakfast really helps keep my BG steady. Steel cut oats, although they are supposed to have a very low GI, cause a bit of a spike. It's all very personal. One of the big things that I have found is that exercise is really the key ingredient. I'm always actively researching. I also have the benefit of having a nutritionist in staff where I work. Considering how many people have diabetes, it still sometimes seems to be a very lonely disease. A lot of people don't talk about it. I'm the opposite. Knowledge is power. I'm a professor so I guess that motto is a given. Give me a shout at john@evilgopher.com and we can chat more.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Forum!

Read through the first three threads in the Type 2 Section, when you get a chance, if you have not already done so. These threads will most-likely help you a lot. Self education is one of the keys to successful management of your diabetes, along with a healthy / sensible diet and exercise. Basically, diabetes requires a life-style change for the better. Good luck with your control and management.

Danny
Old 07-22-2015, 03:14 PM

Default patkrn new too

I feel the same way so glad I found this site I need support
Old 07-23-2015, 02:57 PM

Default Check with local hospital

...pamphlets in a paper bag by a nurse...geez! Fortunately, my primary care provider has a good system with our local hospital, in fact, you should check with your local hospital. Many of them have diabetes 101 classes for those newly diagnosed, for a minimal cost (think it was $50). I took my wife (because she listens better than I do), we sat with 10-12 other newbies and we saw videos, had question/answer sessions, talked about nutrition, etc...

There are support groups around, please find one to help with your diabetes. maybe even look for a new doctor, talk to OTHER diabetics for referrals.

Good luck...I've been type-2 for over 3yrs now, dropped my A1c from 11% to 5.3%, but I still CRAVE sweets!

Clint.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to serialmom12 Send a message via Yahoo to serialmom12

I was diagnosed "pre-diabetes" whatever that means. I told my doctor that I WILL reverse this. It sucks eating low carb, but I'm managing and walking 3-5 miles every single day. I've lost 12 lbs so far in the past 2 months and the Dr insisted I take Januvia (I'm allergic to Metformin thank God.) I told her at my 3 month follow up visit if my numbers are good, the Januvia will be flushed down the toilet. I could never ever inject myself with insulin. I have a severe phobia of syringes and needles. It would be a death sentence for me. I don't believe in taking meds. Most issues have much better natural cures.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:48 PM

I'm right there with you. I was diagnosed beginning of August. Have never seen my doc only the phys asst. nutritionist appt tomorrow with my list of questions. My trigger is not candy or sweets, it's bread and butter. Right now grocery shopping takes four times as long because I have to read labels. My biggest win so far is my breakfast; half a sourdough English muffin toasted with a 3oz turkey sausage patty and a scrambled egg on to with some sracha sauce or just pepper and a dash of salt. Sometimes I add a pinch of shredded cheese and some arugula. Found sugar free chocolate flavoring for my mocha with unsweetened almond milk and some stevia. So good, protein, & filling. You'll figure it out.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:51 AM

I think the previous post was great advice. A nutritionist and a diabetes educator should be your best friend as a type 2. I'm type 1 but utilize a nutritionist quite often and my diabetes educator is far more helpful than any doctor has ever been.

Apples should be fine but my nutritionist recommends strong portion control with fruit. An apple per day is good for someone without diabetes. She recommends cutting that portion in half. Get familiar with the glycemic index in foods that you consume on a regular basis. Your doctor has probably recommended to check your blood sugar before and two hours after you eat. This will give you the best idea of how various foods effect your blood sugar.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:17 PM

Hi. New type 2. Please do not get to upset. First of all it is not a life sentence. For me it may be because I'm a type 1. Go to my you tube( Diabetic George Gonzales) and keep in touch. Please remember that type 2 just requires making slight adjustments to your lifestyle. You will be fine. Enjoy your life.
George at fresh.clean.waterr@gmail.com
Old 10-23-2015, 10:24 PM

I think you need to see a diabetic educator one who knows and you may need to talk to him or her on what you should do . I am type 1 diabetic on insulin shots 24/7 constantly and type 1 is worst than type 2 the dietitian at a hospital will be helpful to if you need any questions on any of it feel free to e-mail me @ my e-mail timwin_va1@verizon.net