FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2013, 12:21 AM

Default best way to build muscle

Hi. I've just recently found out I'm Type 1 diabetic. In the last 2 months I've lost 2 1/2 stone (35lbs) what's the best way to now build muscle? Can I use protein shakes or any other supplement being a diabetic?

Thanks D
Old 03-12-2015, 04:34 PM

Whenever you get hungry, try running around the block until you get FED UP! Lol hahaha...my mom used to tell me that when I was a kid. Really though, one thing that will help a lot is keeping your sugar levels as normal as possible. This will help your muscles to grow with exercise. If your sugar levels are below 5 or above 10 on a regular basis you might have trouble rebuilding broken down muscle tissue. I'm in Canada so our readings are best between 6 and 7
Old 03-21-2015, 11:19 AM

I am type 2 with numbers that ranged between 6.5 to 28. I finally found a system that worked.

I walk 20 to 30 min every odd day and I started a training program called Body Beast by Beach Body. The program is set for a work 6 days per week. I have reduced it to 3 to 4 times per week. It works great. Massive muscle changes in weeks time. With this I eat at least a salad per day, simply watch the food quantities on my plate and every night, I have a shake with post workout weigh powder (with no sugar) with creative (GNC). In the shake, 1 banana-a half cup of frozen strawberries-a 1/4 cup of plain yogurt and fill the balance with milk. Other than that I eat anything I want. I have lost 12 pound in 6 weeks of this program and still going strong. Sugars are now keeping steady below 8. Hope this help!
Old 04-19-2015, 11:44 PM

Be careful. I read where weight lifting and circuit training type exercises can greatly increase adrenaline production, which gets dumped into your blood stream. Your body reacts the same way to adrenaline as sugar, so it increases blood glucose levels.

Just telling you what I read. I subscribe to American Diabetes twitter, and they send out articles on diabetic care regularly.
If you learn of something differently, please let us know.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:55 PM

Default readings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyQ View Post
Whenever you get hungry, try running around the block until you get FED UP! Lol hahaha...my mom used to tell me that when I was a kid. Really though, one thing that will help a lot is keeping your sugar levels as normal as possible. This will help your muscles to grow with exercise. If your sugar levels are below 5 or above 10 on a regular basis you might have trouble rebuilding broken down muscle tissue. I'm in Canada so our readings are best between 6 and 7
Are those a1c numbers?
Old 06-09-2015, 03:33 AM

protein powder is works for me at my begging of the work out. not only protein powder may help u build muscle, also some dietary supplement may useful.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanwild View Post
protein powder is works for me at my begging of the work out. not only protein powder may help u build muscle, also some dietary supplement[/URL] may useful.
I think protein powder is dangerous for you in your future.

Last edited by ashtonbrady45; 11-04-2015 at 06:54 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:27 AM

Protein powder is a good variety to the diet. Excess protein the body released.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:16 PM

Default type I muscle

If you were recently diagnosed then you should actually build muscle back up naturally with the proper insulin dosages. I am a type I diabetic Dietitian and personal trainer. I can offer other suggestions if you do not see improvement with your body in the next month or so, but you should be fine gaining the weight back if you stick to a healthy diet utilizing insulin as prescribed. Weight training and other forms of exercise are also excellent ways to build muscle. Let me know if you have other questions.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:27 PM

Thumbs up Whey protein and Diabetes

Of all the types of protein that we ingest, whey protein is the best absorbed. Reasons to ingest whey protein include the fact that it contains branched chain amino acids that help build and maintain muscle — more so than egg, casein, or soy protein.
Regarding Diabetes, a study published in Diabetes Care in 2009 found that whey protein helped lower blood glucose levels by slowing down digestion and increasing insulin sensitivity. In another study, published in Nutrition Journal, subjects were given a sugary drink with different amounts of whey protein. The 20-gram dose of whey was 1.7 times more effective than the control group (who drank no whey protein) in decreasing spikes in glucose. Whey protein was also found, in yet another study, to lower triglycerides (blood fats).