FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2012, 02:37 AM

Default Bariatric Surgery

My nurse mentioned that my conditions have worsened and weight loss can effectively reverse problems. I never wanted to consider this as I have read the diet of the surgery patient and always say if I could do that, I wouldn't need surgery.

It's been 10 years and I have lost 20 lbs. How does a type 2 consider options? Thoughts appreciated.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:35 AM

I've been thinking about the same thing. Battled with me weight my whole life. Often times I feel ljke it's winning.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:16 AM

My wife has this surgery 5 years ago, lost 160 pounds (over half her body weight), and has pretty much kept it off. Judging from the support group she attended for several years afterwards and the results of others we know that had this surgery, that puts her in the <10% of those that have KEPT the weight off. Yes, I'm proud of her... it's just that I also would advise anyone considering this to seriously consider the consequences. The first year or so was NOT fun as her eating habits changed drastically and not all by choice. Foods she loved caused her to become violently ill. This is NOT a magic bullet that automatically causes you to lose weight. Yes, it restricts food intake but only at one time - you can still stuff yourself all day long and eat high calorie foods. It requires a lifestyle change and if you have the the drive to make the commitment then maybe you should apply that same drive to working out and diet. I would only recommend this surgery to someone with medical issues for which their doctor agrees that the surgery is the only way to lose weight. If not, odds are that you'll be spending a lot of money and pain for nothing.

Anyone who has any questions about this surgery from my wife or me are welcome to contact me. As I said, my wife is considered a "success" but from what I've seen, that's very rare in the long term. If nothing else, talk to someone else who has actually been through it for a few years - NOT the people advertising it.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:57 AM

Obesity and weight loss treatment and surgeries are generally only an option for people who are more than 100 pounds overweight. Most physicians will first suggest a wide variety of treatments such as behavior modification, dieting, and exercise. Sometimes, a doctor will prescribe medications. When these fail, surgery is an option for those who have not responded to such treatments and who are severely obese.

Surgical procedures are generally divided into three categories: malabsorption, restrictive, and mixed, or combination. The type of surgery any patient will undergo will depend on how much weight needs to be lost. Lap banding and gastric bypass (gastric bariatric surgery) are two of the most common surgeries.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:28 PM

On July 2nd this year, I underwent gastric bypass. I have loss more than 110 lbs total. This include about 50lbs pre surgery. The rest has been shed since 7/2/13.
That being said and with complete satisfaction with the procedure and the result, it's not for everyone. In my case there were mitigating circumstances that made my division the correct one. The day after the procedure I left the hospital. I also left diabetics, hypertension, high cholesterol, and all the medications associated with those diseases. To the tune of. >150$ monthly for medication. That's right, on 7/3, all of the symptoms of those diseased disappeared completely. Today I am cured of type 2 diabetics.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:37 PM

With that being said, I have adopted a life style and eating habits unlike anything I have done before. This include regular exercise and gym work. No choice if you are going to keep the weight off. I am 71 yrs old. I have regained a remarkable degree of muscle tone and vitality.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:45 PM

I have said all of this to say that every case is different. With my success has come benefits not mentioned in my narrative. Let your imagination figure that out!! Yes I have regained strength where it matters with men. That I did not expect. So for me , glory. For anyone considering the procedure, no that there is no short cut. Not if you are going to benefit to the degree that I have.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:37 PM

Is it true that some people that have had the procedure done afterwards sometimes deal with the issue of soiling themselves suddenly with no control?
Old 03-19-2015, 02:46 PM

The "soiling" yourself problem only happens if you use high carb content foods and it is called dumping. If you follow the program correctly it rarely happens and you can get to a facility. I get it when I cheat and have 3/4cup of real ice cream. Sugar free works fine
Old 06-09-2015, 05:06 AM

There is also a procedure that is called the Sleeve surgery as Bariatric surgery.
Not as demanding afterward for nutrition requirements and vitamin shots as the By-Pass surgery.
I have been going to support groups for 4 months and am currently considering the lap band or sleeve. Not the By-Pass.

From the information I have been given -- most individuals that are diabetic get off all diabetic medicines with the By-Pass surgery.
But this is the most invasive of the Bariatric Surgeries.

Research it well for yourself. Every is at different comfort levels with the different types of surgery.