FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2010, 07:32 PM

Default Basal Insulin adjustment - hi levels every morning!!

Hi everyone,

I've just signed up to this website through i-phone - it seems a great, easy tool and am hoping to help improve my control with it.

I have had a big problem over the last year or so with hi blood sugar in the morning, before eating breakfast -

having spoken to my diabetes team, they seem to think I should check and eat something if my blood sugar is below 7 before bed 9without my fast acting insulin).

I've been trying to organise this over the last month, but it doesnt seem to be working and I continue to wake up with hi blood sugar before breakfast
(10-20mmols).

My Basal insulin dose is 22units and i take it before bed each evening. Any suggestions of what I can do? its really frustrating me, because other than this, I feel my general day to day control is really improving since being told about how to measure carbs and adjust my rapid insulin correctly.

any advice would be much appreciated.

Stu,
Old 08-08-2010, 08:20 PM

Default Basal Insulin adjustment - hi blood sugar every morning before breakfast!!

Hi everyone,

I've just signed up to this website through i-phone - it seems a great, easy tool and am hoping to help improve my control with it.

I have had a big problem over the last year or so with hi blood sugar in the morning, before eating breakfast -

having spoken to my diabetes team, they seem to think I should check and eat something if my blood sugar is below 7 before bed 9without my fast acting insulin).

I've been trying to organise this over the last month, but it doesnt seem to be working and I continue to wake up with hi blood sugar before breakfast
(10-20mmols).

My Basal insulin dose is 22units and i take it before bed each evening. Any suggestions of what I can do? its really frustrating me, because other than this, I feel my general day to day control is really improving since being told about how to measure carbs and adjust my rapid insulin correctly.

any advice would be much appreciated.

Stu,
Old 08-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

What type diabetes do you have? I would assume T2.

What did you eat for dinner?

Do you exercise?

Have you read the Blood Sugar 101 Thread in the T2 Section?

Danny
Old 08-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Please don't double post.

Danny
Old 08-08-2010, 11:08 PM

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your reply. I'm type 1. I was diagnosed in 1999 and put on an mixed insulin regime then. That was only updated to the separate basal and fast acting insulin regime 2 years ago, when I specifically asked my doctor.

I kinda feel like I've been left on my own a bit because my blood test results have always come back good. Its only in the last couple of months that I have really started to hear about the carb counting and insulin adjustment techniques that many people seem to have been using for a long while.

So, getting back to my original post, thanks for the advice - i'll take a look at the type 2 threads to see if anything useful stands out. I just feel at loss as to what to do and want to start getting on top of things beofre i begin an insulin/carb course in November - hence joining this site!

Sorry for the double post - i have the app for the iphone but was not up to speed so accidently posted it twice without realising.

thanks again
Old 08-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Stu;

Since you didn't say anything about your bolus injections, I assumed T2. You know what assuming does. I will try to move this thread back to the T1 Section.

You will find a lot of useful info in the T2 Section, including Carb Counting Info. I hope it helps.

Danny
Old 08-08-2010, 11:32 PM

Danny,

Thanks again.

I am fairly active throughout the winter and play football (soccer) a lot. I just keep getting the same repsonse from my diabetic team, who think its because my levels go too low and so my liver kicks in with some glucose, but I am having the same problem when i go to sleep with levels from 4-10, so can't understand the deal!

I'll keep trying and look through the site you suggested - i'm hoping this site and the phone app will help, at the least by convincing my doctors something needs to change with my regime.

Stu
Old 08-09-2010, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

Stu;

Sometimes a 30 minute walk after dinner helps to lower my blood sugar before bed. This is addressed in the T2 Section as well. Good luck in getting those numbers down.

Danny
Old 08-09-2010, 10:03 AM

Thanks Danny,

I'll try the exercise idea out and see how it goes.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:47 AM

Ask your doctor for a higher dosage for your long acting insulin.!

Hope it helps.!

-May

Tags
basal