FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2010, 07:43 PM

Default A Metformin Update.

For the past two weeks, I haven’t taken Metformin.

It was an accident, honestly. Part of my problem with taking Symlin (besides the fact it hurt like hell) was the fact that I knew I didn’t need Symlin. Same thing with Metformin. It’s hard to convince myself that I need to take something when in reality, I don’t. But because my basal rates were use to the Metformin being there, if I skipped it, my blood sugars bounced like a ping pong ball. So I tried to maintain dilligence in taking my pills.

But a little over a week ago, I finished my bottle of Metformin and I just haven’t gone back to the pharmacy to pick up my refill yet. And the results have been surprising.

For the most part, my blood sugars have actually been pretty good without the Metformin. I’ve had a few stratospheric blood sugars, but those have an identifiable cause. My blood sugars have been staying pretty steady, even dropping on occasion. If you can believe it, low blood sugars really only started happening for me again once I went on Metformin, because my insulin needs changed. Before I started Metformin, I rarely went low because I was usually high (hence the 8.0% A1C).

My total daily basal rate has only dropped by a few units so far, nothing drastic. But my corrections have greatly minimized, and I’m taking, on average, about twenty units less than what I was taking before I started Metformin. On particularly low-carb days, I’m at thirty to forty units lower than pre-Metformin. My total daily dose is starting to look a bit more familiar.

Part of me is curious to see if I can get my basal rates to go down even more, but another part of me wonders if this means that the Metformin efficacy has run its course. From what little I’ve seen with type 1 diabetes and Metformin, the Metformin eventually doesn’t work as well anymore because the body just isn’t as resistant. I’ve only been on Metformin for two months, so I’m curious as to whether or not that’s what is happening to me.

From what I can tell, Metformin hasn’t helped me lose any weight, although I think it does have some potential for curbing the appetite (if for no other reason than the stomach pains that come with the side effects at the beginning!). But my weight is still topping 200 lbs. so I certainly wouldn’t go into this thinking it will help shed pounds.

After reviewing my meter’s 30 day average, I realize that it is starting to climb. It’s clocking in at 195 mg/dl. Pre-Metformin, I was around 220 mg/dl. But at the height of my Metformin use, I was in the mid-100, and I’d like to stay there. I suppose this is a long-winded update to say that I do plan on continuing Metformin, but that I’m not sure how much longer it will be necessary. A person with type 1 diabetes using Metformin is an unusual thing, but apparently it’s becoming more and more common. My next endocrinologist appointment is in July and I’m looking forward to seeing the results.

I am pretty sure this is the first time I’ve ever looked forward to an endocrinologist appointment.

Somebody better make sure the Devil has a winter coat because I think Hell may have just frozen over.

Filed under: Diabetes, Health

More...