FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2010, 07:32 AM

Question Pregnancy & Type 1 Diabetes

Hi all...
I was diagnosed wen i was 11 yrs old with type 1 juvenile diabetes... I am now 21, almost 22 yrs old and pregnant with my 3rd child... Pregnancy and type 1 diabetes is always really complicated in the 1st trimester 4 me... I always seem to have A LOT of low BGs... I am now in my 3rd trimester about 8 1/2 months and my blood sugars are kind of all ovr the place... My doctor has me on humalog and lantus, which is wut i take wen not pregnant also, and i c him weekly-biweekly, but it seems like no doctor can ever figure out how 2 completely control my sugars whether pregnant or not... I think it kind of has a lot 2 do with my diet, but i dnt noe... Its a lil frustrating and stressful... Any advice??...
Old 08-12-2010, 06:08 AM

Hi, I also had this problem. I am now on an insulin pump and it is far better as your insulin is very specific ie. Have 30.2 grams of carbohydrate have exactly 3.2 units of insulin you can also set your hourly insulin at different amounts so if you go low in the morning you have a lot less overnight. You also only have a short acting insulin so it makes it far easier to predict. You would have to be a bit bolshy to get the pump but it is well worth it. If not then get a carbohydrate book you may be giving too much insulin like I was during my first pregnancy.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:45 AM

Hi there just wanted to wish you the best w the pregancy. My
Mom was type 1 when she was pregnabt w/me over 50 years ago(before bg meters)
So it couldnt have been easy!
Hope youre doing ok

I must get back to actually logging my bg(type2)
Old 12-28-2010, 11:10 AM

Hi! congratualtions on your pregnancy from me as well!! I am 25 weeks into my second pregnancy and this will be my second preganancy using an insulin pump as well. I don't know how I would mamange without it to tell you the truth! From my understanding from 24 weeks into the preganancy your insulin requirements start to sky rocket. I am having about 24 units through my pump with breakfast at the moment - compared to about 11 or twelve pre-pregnancy. It's increasing day by day at the moment but I am getting on top of it I think. I am seeing my endocronologist again tomorrow to review things but this seems to be doing the trick. In my first trimester I had lots of lows - some quite rapid and worrying ones so my insulin rates were dropped which seemed to do the trick. It's just been a matter of refining and balancing as we've gone along. Good luck with your thrid bub and I highly highly reccomend you push for a pump!!!
Laura
Old 02-27-2011, 05:10 PM

Congrats on the pregnancies and gettin through them safely! I was diagnosed at 12 and am now 27. Im getting married in 4 months and we have decided to wait obly about 6 months to a year before startig a family. I know they say to begin preparif your body and making you sugar levels perfect months before even conceiving so i am trying to start now. I am on the pump but i find it so hard and tedious to be so diligent but i know it is a must. Any pre pregnancy prep advice out there? Im excited and baby ready but terrified!
Old 03-14-2011, 11:35 AM

I am also type 1. I did shots with my first pregnancy and insulin pump with my second pregnancy. Both my boys were big babies but otherwise normal. They are now ages 14 and 9 years old. I had to take large amounts of insulin towards the end of both pregnancies but that went back to normal after my kids were born. Feel free to ask any questions.