FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2010, 03:25 AM

Default neuropathy

Anyone suffering with this?
Old 07-05-2010, 08:02 PM

Though this is the "Women's Room", when I saw the post labeled "neuropathy", it caught my eye (male here).

I do have neuropathy, which was actually diagnosed a year or two before I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. It began as a slight numbness in my feet, primarily my left foot. As time went on, the numbness became more severe, and associated pain began as well. That was back in about 2004, and I was diagnosed with type 2 in late 2005.

I was seeing a doctor at the VA hospital in Madison, WI, to treat the neuropathy. He asked me if I had diabetes. When I told that I did not, he suggested that it was quite likely that within a year or two years, I would probably have it, as he had seen this symptom or disease of neuropathy in non-diabetics, who eventually developed diabetes. And true to his diagnosis and prognosis, it developed.

From 2005 until early February of this year (2010), I struggled with various medicines (oral) or combinations of medicines, constantly "chasing" an elusive acceptable blood glucose level. Finally, in February of this year, I began insulin treatment and have gained control of that elusive blood glucose level I've been seeking.

During that interim of 2005 through Feb of this year, the neuropathy symptoms increased dramatically. The numbness grew to the entire foot and ankle, and the pain greatly increased, in spite of medications given in and attempt to ease the pain. The highest pain level was in the several months preceding February of this year, when the blood glucose levels had really gone off the charts for me.

In addition to the pain levels increasing in my feet (toes mostly), it also began to develop in my hands, beginning first with the numbness again, along the two outwards most fingers. The pain could be described as a "many-fold" type(s) of pain. There is the constant "burning" or "aching", but there is also the irregular "stabbing" pains (of usually brief durations), which would increase in frequency and intensity as the disease worsened, especially during that time period approaching early this year.

Since the insulin therapy began in early February, and I've finally gained control of my blood glucose levels, I can honestly report that the neuropathy condition has also improved drastically. I am not suggesting that I am without pain or that the disease has gone into remission or anything like that. But the pain levels or episodes of stabbing pains have dropped dramatically.

There is obviously a connection between high and/or uncontrolled blood glucose levels, and the pain (and frequency) levels of the neuropathy. Since February of this year, my A1C has gone from its highest level ever for me of 10.4% down to 7.6% as of my last testing, early June. I am still finding ways (diet, insulin dosages and times) to tweak my blood glucose levels, in hopes of getting my A1C's down to about 6.5% for my next testing in September or so.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:15 PM

I have had nuropath
Old 03-05-2011, 07:24 PM

I have had neuropathy for more than 10 years I think.. It's been so long I'm not really sure! I've been T1 for 27 years. It started with the stabbing pains?in my toes for the first couple of years and then (almost blissfully!) went numb. After 10 years it as slowly spread to the balls of my feet but thankfully no further! I don't notice the pain of small scratches on my feet and am now hyper sensitive to anyone touching, or stepping, on them. I still have feeling but it's like I have thick socks on. I've also noticed I can't wiggle my toes as well as I used to, not entirely sure if it's related.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:04 PM

I have neuropathy too...tingling, a little numbness (this is worse in my fingers than my toes though), pin pricks, itchiness and a general aching which the doc says is not arthritis, that it is neuropathy. I was surprised about the aching..my first thought was arthritis but it is not in the joints, it is more down the side of my foot or down my toes but not just in joints. It often seems to be triggered by cold...like walking barefoot on a cold floor. And yes, I have that feeling like I'm wearing socks or some sort of padding under my feet even when I'm not. However otherwise there is only minimal numbness in my feet. I also am having a lot of pain down my left leg and into my foot ..like sciatica...it is esp painful when I sit and esp under my left knee. I can't sit for very long at a time any more. Usually stretching out my legs (like on a sofa or bed) relieves it but recently it doesn't always. The doctor agrees this is nerve pain but is not sure whether it is caused by the diabetes. He has offered me stronger pain meds for it but so far I am getting by with Aspirin or Motrin. Tylenol does not seem to help me much during the day (Tylenol PM will help at night as it makes me go to sleep but I will wake up with pain) which makes me think there is some inflammation involved. I tend to have problems with inflammation anyway due to a gene I have per doctor/labs. I am sure the high bs are not helping though...I am still working on stablizing my bs and have recently increased my med which seems to be helping.

My dh who is also diabetic but usually has better control than I, or even runs low, complains of his feet feeling hot. He tends to be a rather colder (temperature) person usually so this is surprising and I think it is neuropathey. He will have a blanket over him while watching TV (the room is kinda drafty) but he keeps his feet uncovered.

ETA: Strange thing is, that when I was in my 30s and 40s, maybe even into my 50s a little, not sure...I did not have a diabetes dx but I had neuropathy. Only at times...it was triggered by a hot shower, or walking on rough terrain. My feel would tingle and hurt so badly...no numbness then though! But it would go away after the stimulus was removed, and eventually it disappeared entirely. I did not have it again until after I was dx with diabetes (in my 60s) and it is different now, not so intense but lingers.

Last edited by ma6791; 04-17-2011 at 10:15 PM.