FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2013, 11:20 PM

Default Newly Diagnosed T2, Quick Question

Hi All,

I'm a newly diagnosed T2 diabetic, and had some questions to ease my mind before my diabetics class next week.

I have been a pre-diabetic for a few years now with my weight rising and little to no activity taking control of me. The main reason I was tested 2 weeks ago and confirmed diabetic was the frequent urination and constant thirst that could never be quenched. I figured that was the final confirmation of a move over to Type 2. Here are my curious questions.

1) Since being diagnosed last week and finally getting a glucometer and Metformin prescribed, I've been noticing my glucose readings seem to be pretty high. I range from 264-428 since tracking began 2/15/13 (Friday). This is all really new to me, so I'm wondering do I need to do a shock & awe kind of regiment to get my glucose levels down?

2) Will lowering my glucose relieve the constant urination need?

3) What is the proper intake of carbs a day? I have read no more than 100g, so just want a good range to work with.

4) How often should I take glucose readings with my glucometer? Right now I do it when I wake, after lunch, and before bed.

5) When should Metformin be taken? I was only told twice daily, and not on an empty stomach.

I guess I won't keep going, and will keep some question for my diabetics training this next week. I appreciate the help, and so glad to see a community to fall back on for help. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a tad scared. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paguirre View Post
1) Since being diagnosed last week and finally getting a glucometer and Metformin prescribed, I've been noticing my glucose readings seem to be pretty high. I range from 264-428 since tracking began 2/15/13 (Friday). This is all really new to me, so I'm wondering do I need to do a shock & awe kind of regiment to get my glucose levels down?
No you don't need shock and awe, it will come down with the right treatment. Read the first three threads in the Type 2 Section, they will help you a lot. A sensible diet and exercise is needed. Basically, diabetes requires a life-style change for the better.

Quote:
2) Will lowering my glucose relieve the constant urination need?
Yes, most-likely. However, to be on the safe side I would advise buying some ketone test strips to make sure that you are not spilling ketones.

Quote:
3) What is the proper intake of carbs a day? I have read no more than 100g, so just want a good range to work with.
Carbs per day is a function of calories per day. Here is one website: Carbs / Day. Most people here will tell you around 30 to 60 carbs per meal, if you are trying to loose weight that maybe another story. Some people eat only 30 per day, usually a vegan diet. Note that when you implement more fruits and vegetables into your diet, you should see much better blood sugar numbers. Especially, if you cut out the sugars, breads and pastas.

Quote:
4) How often should I take glucose readings with my glucometer? Right now I do it when I wake, after lunch, and before bed.
When you take these readings depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I test the first thing in the morning and before each meal. However, I am insulin dependent and this is how I calculate my bolus injection. For someone that is Type 2, the 1.5 to 2 hours after meal may mean more to you, since this will tell you what foods cause spikes in your blood sugar.

Quote:
5) When should Metformin be taken? I was only told twice daily, and not on an empty stomach.
Most people take this with breakfast (first meal) and dinner (last meal), if they were told by their doctor to take it twice daily.

Read the first three threads in the Type 2 Section, before your diabetes training this next week.

Good luck with your control and management.

Danny

Last edited by dano; 02-20-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:00 AM

Danny,

Thanks for the reply, that is the sort of intro I was looking for. Will take a look at those threads and go from there. Awesome, awesome!

Paul
Old 02-20-2013, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

You are welcome.

Danny

Tags
glucometer, metformin, type 2