FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2014, 07:17 PM

Question Carb counting

Was in denial since maybe 2005, but now getting my act together. Well trying to anyway. I found this app and forum last week and been using the app to log all BG levels, carb intake, exercise and meds. I am on 1000mg MetFormin with little to no side effects (taking it about 15/30 minutes after eating seems to be the key for me anyway) and testing 3x a day. I have read a lot on this forum and trying to soak it all up. My family is on board with my new life style. But I still have some questions. Any input is appreciated.

Ok, so my dietitian says not to count the carbs in the non starchy veggies.
So for ie: I buy the Walmart brand iceberg lettuce salad mix with a nutrition label that says 3g per serving 1 1/2 cups is a serving. I make my salad with one serving and I use 1 serving (5g) of raspberry vignette and 1 serving of reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese @ 1g and splash some apple cider vinegar for 0g.
So adding it all up it is 9g of carbs.
Even though the Dr. Says not to count those 3g of salad it still adds to my BG levels, right? Yes I know they are good carbs but it still contributes.??

Similar question with sugar free candy/ foods.
Ie: Whitman's sugar free sampler, 3 pieces @ 25g. The 25g still add to my BG so I should still account for those 25g, right?
I love creamer in my coffee, love , love, love it. My wife would ask me if I wanted coffee with my creamer. Lol, sigh. So I switched to sugar free and depending on the brand 1 or 2g per tablespoon. Yes I have been measuring and keeping it at no more than 6g per cup of coffee, no more than 3 tablespoons. I usually only drink two cups of coffee a day at breakfast. But I have been including those carbs too.
Sorry for rambling on but I'm just curious how everyone else counts those carbs for their diet needs.

Also I work an average of 60 plus hours a week so it is hard for me to get a specific exercise routine down, so I have been trying to walk more at work and walk / run on my wife's treadmill on my days off. About 30-40 minutes on the treadmill, usually 2 miles. About 2 - 3x a week.

My fasting BG level was 270,
A1c was 9.7 and no protein in my urine.

I'm sure I got more but am drawing a blank, so thanks for any input and replies.

Last edited by molsonice; 02-08-2014 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Fixed my exercise amounts.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Forum!

Some of us, that are insulin dependent, must count carbs to survive. Personally, I use MyNetDiary as I have described in the "Carb Counting 101" thread. In your case, if you want to count them then please do so. It can't hurt and will most-likely help you make better food choices.

Read through the first three threads in the Type 2 Section, when you get a chance, if you have not already done so. These threads will most-likely help you a lot. Self education is one of the keys to successful management of your diabetes, along with a healthy / sensible diet and exercise. Basically, diabetes requires a life-style change for the better. Good luck with your control and management.

Danny

Last edited by dano; 02-08-2014 at 08:12 PM.