FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2013, 12:38 PM

Default New and having a hard time

Hi,
I'm 43 years old, I'm 5'0'' and I weigh 100lbs. I exercise rigorously 6 days a week (I run marathons), I've been eating a paleo diet for the past three years (no grain, no processed food, no sugar) and I just did a random fasting glucose yesterday for my yearly physical exam and I am diabetic. Crap.

Seriously? If anyone else tells me I need to exercise more, watch my diet and loose weight then I wouldn't have diabetes--I swear I'm going to shoot them. I'm at a loss about how to cope with this. I know I'll push through and find my way, but right now I'm having a pity party and you all are invited. In fact, only diabetics are invited because I can't do anything else but laugh or cry right now and it seems like only diabetics understand what I'm going through. Oh the irony of my profession, my hobbies and how I care for my body--and what life actually dishes out is just a joke. The only thing I feel like I can do today is laugh. Go to work, try and treat other people's health problems, and frickin' laugh. Wish me luck.
Physician, heal thyself...
Trish
Old 10-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Forum!

Read through the first three threads in the Type 2 Section, when you get a chance, if you have not already done so. These threads will most-likely help you a lot. Self education is one of the keys to successful management of your diabetes, along with a healthy / sensible diet and exercise. Basically, diabetes requires a life-style change for the better. Good luck with your control and management.

Danny
Old 10-20-2013, 07:29 AM

Hi there - I had a similar experience. I was 50, 190 cm and 80 kilos and cycling and keeping fit. Then I was feeling tired, thirsty, weight loss etc and the doctor spotted T1 diabetes. How did that happen?? A mix of family genes and catching a virus that knocked out my ability to produce insulin.
Now a couple of years on I look at it more positively as a chance to stay fit and healthy as before but with an extra 15 mins a day testing, counting carbs and injecting insulin. It's not so bad and I feel much better and more in control.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:00 PM

Trish my husband is a body builder and also runs he was diagnosed with juvenile type 1 diabetes when he was in the marines. He was so pissed because he is such an athlete it took him a good 5 years to even admit he was diabetic he was mad at the world however he came to terms with it and 30 years later he still body builds and looks awesome he watches what he eats second nature now to him I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 and now I am the one who is angry at the world thankfully I have my hubby to guide me and support me remember there are worse things we could have keep your chin up as I am trying to do we are in this together!!!

Tags
marathoner, paleo, physician