FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2010, 05:07 PM

Default numbers raise at night

My numbers can be good during the day but they raise at night. Any tips that I can do to help with this. Also what is a good number? This is all new to me and I haven't been able to talk to my doctor a lot yet.
Scott Turner
Old 01-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Scott!

Are you saying that your numbers raise in the night, while you are asleep, or they raise after dinner and prior to bed? Tell us if you are using diet & excercise, medications or insulin. Note that a 30 minute walk after dinner will most likely help.

Normal numbers are around 80 to 120....

Danny
Old 01-31-2010, 06:29 PM

The numbers raise at night while I am asleep. They are not terribly high but higher than when I go to bed. I take 500 mg Metformin 2 x a day and have been exercising. I have lost six pounds since janu 4, when i was started on the medication and have been trying to watch what I eat .
Scott
Old 01-31-2010, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Good for you in losing the weight! You are on the right track.

Are you finding that your dinner meal is usually larger (more carbs) than your lunch meal? Do you walk after dinner?

Danny

Last edited by dano; 01-31-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:12 PM

No I don't exercise so much after supper. I have been using our ellipitical machine. and I try not to have so many carbs for supper. Yesterday I had 311.9g of carbs accoridng to the application that I use on my ipod touch (and that is about 50 percent allowed.) . I love this application as well as that one. I never would have thought I would have used an ipod so much.

Scott
Old 01-31-2010, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

I will have to agree with you! I couldn't get by without my iPhone, because I use so many health apps on it. Try cutting back on some of the carbs at your evening meal. One piece of bread instead of two etc. and I think you will see a difference. Also walking for thirty (30) minutes, after dinner, will also make a difference. If you go out and eat Italian, for instance, you may have to use a combination of the two methods. Good luck with getting you fasting "out of bed" blood glucose levels down. I hope this helps in some way!

Danny
Old 02-01-2010, 02:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to g8rduc

Something to think about fellas...many diabetics experience the Dawn Phenom. Check your glucose about an hour after your first check it in the morning, without a meal. See if it has gone down. A theory exists that our bodies produce more sugar while we sleep to help the body prepare for the next day's activities, a leftover trait from our hunting days (well, some of us still hunt ).

Make sure you mention this to your doctor. There are different ideas on how to get this to come down. Hopefully, with diet and exercise, you can lower your glucose levels in the mornings.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:32 PM

I have the exact same problem. . . for example last night before bed my glucose was 100 and when I woke up this morning it was 114 (and that's lower than it's normally been. . . usually it is in the 120 to 140 range). I thought for sure I would be under 99 when I got up since it was 100 before bed. I have been working really hard to get my numbers down. This app is a lifesaver!!! I love the graphs.

Good idea, Danny, I think I will try working out for 20 to 30 minutes after dinner. However, I usually get really hungry about 30 minutes after I workout. . . what (if any) have you found to be the best thing to eat later at night close to bedtime?

April
Old 02-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

April;

Try a hand full (about 8 to 10) almonds. I have heard of other things, but this is just what I use. It works pretty good. Don't forget to drink lots of water after walking!

Danny

Last edited by dano; 02-16-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

April;

Other snacks could include celery and cheese, peanut butter and crackers (crackers are about 2 carbs per cracker, though). Have you ever tried celery and peanut butter?

Danny

Tags
dawn phenomenon