FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2010, 05:07 PM

Default Depression & diabetes

I AM 30 yrs old I been type one for 18 yrs... LAtley I been feeling depressed and aggravated cause it's so hard to control my blood sugar, I'm overweight and I know that's not helping!!! Anyone else feeling or felt like this??? I need some tips...! Talk to me!
Old 11-28-2010, 05:12 PM

I'm also on the insulin pump! I feel like I can't win! If I exercise my sugar drops if I don't exercise it's high.... Am I ever Going to be regulated I just WANs enjoy life and I can't!
Old 12-15-2010, 11:23 PM

I feel your pain. Unfortunately, there was a lot that went on in my past that contribute to my mental health problems, but I've been diabetic about as long the OP and am the same age. Though a lot of my depression for a while was related to my diabetes because I had no job, therefore no insurance and I couldn't afford my insulin - which wasn't working when I had to take! So that got me down, then because of that, I've already developed retinopathy in both my eyes. I lost sight in my left eye, but thankfully my right eye was able to be saved.

Anyway, currently, my depression isn't due so much to my diabetes these days, but it's still a contributing factor. I don't use a pump, but sometimes I have those days where my sugars seem totally..out there. And even if I'm religious about taking my medicines, I still have random jumps in my sugars.

Have you thought about checking your sugar before excercising and perhaps eating something light before you excercise? It might keep the bg from dropping extremely.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:10 PM

Ihear ya Tifini.
I feel the same way. I often wake up saying WHY ME. I am also feeling down about this. but have taken the bull by the horn. and since June when I found out I had diabetes of 10. I have lost about 60 pounds and have gotten my ac 1 and sugar levels down. I am on two pills a day. Metformin. It is very hard to do. I love sweets but have cut them out. Once in a while I do cheat.
but I have put in my head I have to live like this the rest of my life. because diabetes is something that if it isn't controlled can cause so many problems.
and I have a husband and son who need me. but deep down I do feel depressed about it. but It feels great to lose weight and get nice cloths.
I still have a more to lose but hopefully I will get there. I am taking it one day at a time. I have also been watching my carbs. a big part of it is the carbs not just the sugar. because carbs turn into sugar. when I saw my doctor last week. she was so impressed with me. and that made me feel even better.
and I see her every three months. so I know I have to stay on track.
good luck and try to keep your chin up. I know it sucks to have diabetes.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:56 AM

Keep your chin up girl you are not alone in this. I was diagnosed when I was a year, 5 years later hypothyroidism hit me too. Sometimes I feel like throwing the towel and just live a normal life. I'm 22 and I feel I'm just not pretty enough to find someone. I ended up meeting someone * online * whos not bad looking, and that just drives me crazy. I weight 175lbs and I'm 5'0. I can exercise my butt off but for me it's even harder cause of the thyroid. But don't give up, you will achieve that goal, life is still young And like I said, ur not alone. So don't give up. Try Zumba DVDs they are a cardio workout but it's all dancing Latin rhythms. You will love it
Old 02-03-2011, 06:05 AM

I think this is something everyone faces at one point or another, especially when you're faced with something like diabetes. But what i found helped me was the fact that I was able to over come the 'down-ness' on my own and turn things around. It may seem like it's impossible now, but try to keep a positive attitude! In terms of weight.. What I found helped was weight lifting. It actually helped me get in shape and better control my sugars. Plus you can keep your pump on when you weight lift. Other sports/activities that spike your Adrenaline puts your sugars up, so try to keep away from those. Hope this helps!
Old 03-28-2011, 02:41 PM

I am 14 am when I found out I could not go in the army or fly a plane I was really sad. Those were the things I wanted to do and finding out 3 days before my bday I had type 1 diabetes made it worse
Old 04-09-2011, 05:11 PM

Hi everyone I hope you are all doing better I just recently came out of a huge depression. I was at first one medication for it but didn't really help. Talking to friends, getting back into a good sleeping eating and work out routine helped, but for me what helped the most was being part of a daily self help 12 step group. Totally kicked my depression and smoking to the curb. I am 38 days. Without a smoke, or depression or medication for the depression. I hope you find a way that works for you out of the depression.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:55 PM

I am 22, type 1 diabetic since the age of 10. I've been on anti-depressants for 4-5 years and although my mental illness has a lot of contributing factors I have been told that diabetics do have a much stronger chance of depression.

I hope you can get through it, just remember there are always people who can help!
Old 08-05-2011, 04:33 PM

Hello this my first time here I am looking forward making some new friends aim 52 year old woman married I have had diabetes for 12 year I have got type 2

Tags
depression