FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2011, 06:49 AM

Default Recipes For Diabetic

Flourless Honey-Almond Cake Recipe

INGREDIENTS

* 1 1/2 cups whole almonds, toasted (see Tip)
* 4 large eggs, at room temperature (see Tip), separated
* 1/2 cup honey
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt

TOPPING

* 2 tablespoons honey
* 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Tip)

PREPARATION

* Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch spring form pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper and spray the paper.
* Process whole almonds in a food processor or blender until finely ground (you will have about 13/4 cups ground). Beat 4 egg yolks, 1/2 cup honey, vanilla, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer (or use a paddle attachment on a stand mixer) on medium speed until well combined. Add the ground almonds and beat on low until combined.
* Beat 4 egg whites in another large bowl with the electric mixer (use clean beaters on a hand-held mixer or the whisk attachment on a stand mixer) on medium speed until very foamy, white and doubled in volume, but not stiff enough to hold peaks, 1 to 2 minutes (depending on the type of mixer). Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the nut mixture until just combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
* Bake the cake until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, about 28 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan and gently remove the side ring. Let cool completely.
* If desired, remove the cake from the pan bottom by gently sliding a large, wide spatula between the cake and the parchment paper. Carefully transfer the cake to a serving platter. To serve, drizzle the top of the cake with honey and sprinkle with sliced almonds.

TIPS & NOTES

* Make Ahead Tip: Store the cooled cake airtight at room temperature for up to 1 day. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle with almonds just before serving. | Equipment: 9-inch springform pan, parchment paper
* Tip: To toast whole almonds, spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes. To toast sliced almonds, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
* Note: Eggs must be at room temperature for the proteins to unwind enough to support the cake’s crumb. Either set the eggs out on the counter for 15 minutes or submerge them in their shells in a bowl of lukewarm (not hot) water for 5 minutes before using.

NUTRITION

Per serving: 234 calories; 14 g fat (1 g sat, 8 g mono); 85 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 3 g fiber; 208 mg sodium; 54 mg potassium.

1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 1 1/2 carbohydrates (other), 3 fat

This food for diabetics will definitely make you forget that you are not advisable to eat sweets because it really tastes just like a normal cake. Flourless Honey Almond cake is very suitable for diabetic patients since the calorie, sugar, and carbohydrate content is on a stable level and will not contradict the diabetes diet plan you have been following through. Without any such guilt, this honey almond cake is surely a healthier way to satisfy your cravings for cakes and sweets alike. Check out the website for more healthy and delicious recipes for diabetic people and also those who are just simply watching their health.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:03 PM

pulse oximeter
Quote:
Originally Posted by john123 View Post

INGREDIENTS

* 1/2 cup honey
* 1/2 teaspoon salt

TOPPING

* 2 tablespoons honey

PREPARATION

* Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch spring form pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper and spray the paper.
* Process whole almonds in a food processor or blender until finely ground (you will have about 13/4 cups ground). Beat 4 egg yolks, 1/2 cup honey, vanilla, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer (or use a paddle attachment on a stand mixer) on medium speed until well combined. Add the ground almonds and beat on low until combined.
* Beat 4 egg whites in another large bowl with the electric mixer (use clean beaters on a hand-held mixer or the whisk attachment on a stand mixer) on medium speed until very foamy, white and doubled in volume, but not stiff enough to hold peaks, 1 to 2 minutes (depending on the type of mixer). Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the nut mixture until just combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
* Bake the cake until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, about 28 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan and gently remove the side ring. Let cool completely.
* If desired, remove the cake from the pan bottom by gently sliding a large, wide spatula between the cake and the parchment paper. Carefully transfer the cake to a serving platter. To serve, drizzle the top of the cake with honey and sprinkle with sliced almonds.

TIPS & NOTES

* Make Ahead Tip: Store the cooled cake airtight at room temperature for up to 1 day. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle with almonds just before serving. | Equipment: 9-inch springform pan, parchment paper
* Tip: To toast whole almonds, spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes. To toast sliced almonds, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
* Note: Eggs must be at room temperature for the proteins to unwind enough to support the cake’s crumb. Either set the eggs out on the counter for 15 minutes or submerge them in their shells in a bowl of lukewarm (not hot) water for 5 minutes before using.

NUTRITION

Per serving: 234 calories; 14 g fat (1 g sat, 8 g mono); 85 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 3 g fiber; 208 mg sodium; 54 mg potassium.

This food for diabetics will definitely make you forget that you are not advisable to eat sweets because it really tastes just like a normal cake. Flourless Honey Almond cake is very suitable for diabetic patients since the calorie, sugar, and carbohydrate content is on a stable level and will not contradict the diabetes diet plan you have been following through. Without any such guilt, this honey almond cake is surely a healthier way to satisfy your cravings for cakes and sweets alike. Check out the website for more healthy and delicious recipes for diabetic people and also those who are just simply watching their health.
This sounds like a good recipe that I will have to try. I am one who struggles with balancing eating as I am supposed to with diabetes and finding things I like. this looks like it will satisfy both ends. One think I do like that I recommend all diabetics is sugar free popsicles. There are no calories either so you can keep your weight down and get a good snack in.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john123 View Post

INGREDIENTS

* 1/2 cup honey
* 1/2 teaspoon salt

TOPPING

* 2 tablespoons honey

PREPARATION

TIPS & NOTES

NUTRITION

I understand this recipe sounds delicious, but what about the sugar content from the honey? You have 1/2 cup in the cake and that is just like pure sugar?? Am I mistaken in this? I am fairly new to the diabetic thing, coming up to a year, but if I have a piece of this cake I can see my sugars going through the roof.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:07 AM

What size is each serving. Does honey have a low glycemic load?
Old 10-24-2014, 03:49 AM

You get exactly the same number of carbs from honey as you do from sugar and your blood sugars will rise accordingly
Old 11-02-2014, 02:51 AM

I was just at a diabetic training class. The recipes are the basically the same as the healthy heart diet. You can use any recipe you want, just adjust a bit on any sweetener and fat. I'm diabetic, but have an adverse reaction to aspartame (nutrasweet) and sucralose (splenda), so I have to use plain sugar, but I reduce the amount in the recipes. And I'm careful about fats. I just watch my portion sizes better.

Tags
recipes