FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2012, 01:11 PM

Default Working out, building muscle

I got to the gym like 4 times a week and I workout with 35-45 weights but I see I'll results. I need help
Old 04-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

I sounds like you may need to bump up the weight.

Try downloading the free version of "Fitness Buddy" from iTunes, it may help.

Danny
Old 04-30-2012, 10:57 PM

It doesn't matter the size of the weights. What you need to strive for is getting the burn in the muscle you are working out.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:52 PM

Go to vicsnatural on YouTube good trainer and knows his shit.. Lighter weight but you get better build also being that you have diabetes like the rest of us don't go by what the magazines say about needing to up your protein as that is to much on liver
Old 08-22-2012, 11:16 AM

work hard for a building muscles. no pain no gain.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:22 PM

Step 1: Go to your doctor and have him/her conduct testostrone levels via blood work.
Step 2: If your level is below 700 ask them for testostrone.
Step 3: Fuel your body with clean white proteins.
Step 4: Eat small meals through out the day to keep your sugars level.
Step 5: You must take your work outs to failure. No more than 8 reps and no less that 4 sets. In general you should spend 1 hr is solo. Do not be afraid to spend up to 1.5 hours in the Gym. If work out solo, find a spotting partner.
Step 6: Rest, sleep is a must, no less than 8 hours.
Step 7: Best time to work out, first thing in the am.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:14 AM

Default working out building muscle

helo friends, i think no need to workout at the gym. just keep running in the early morning and keep doing exercise. it will make result slowly, but it will help you to maintain your body condition for a long time.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:06 AM

Any type 1's out there have any knowledge/experience on using creatine? I know it's hard on your liver however being a 22 year old whose had type 1 for 10.5 years my liver tests have never shown results out of the ordinary

I am really struggling to gain weight I have been 85kgs for 12 months 188cm and roughly 8% body fat been going to the gym for 2 years but only seriously this year and although I've seen better definition I've struggled to get 'bigger'

my HbA1c has been the lowest ever this year 53mmol/mol or 6.9% although I would like to bring that down below 6 if possible and safe

Any tips throw them my way!!!
Old 11-01-2012, 01:08 AM

Research shows that 1.7 g/kg of protein tends to be the plateau in which people see results. Eating a little more than that won't be much of an issue but is likely unnecessary. As for eating it during the day, spread it out. Research also shows that balance is best. For example, if I'm to eat 90 g/day, I should do 30g at breakfast, 30g at lunch, 30g at dinner or whatever your schedule is that day; the point is, don't gorge on your protein all in one meal. Additionally, protein shakes are not necessary, their an expensive and trendy way of getting protein. The point is getting whey protein in roughly less than 20 minutes after a workout because it's metabolized faster than protein in high-fat meats, or casein. I recommend just drinking some milk with a little CHO on the side (or drink chocolate milk). People will probably tell you to drink protein shakes for the 'amino acids' or some other junk. The currently researched 'golden amino acid' for muscle growth is Leucine, and it's quite abundant in milk.

As for the workout portion, you likely don't need to spend more than 30-60 minutes in a gym. As long as you are truly pushing yourself to exhaustion by rep 6-10, you're probably doing it right.

My personal choices:
-I'll lift only 3 days a week with my current schedule, so I don't make huge strides, but I'm close to moving back to about 5 days a week.
-When I lift, I usually do for 45-60 minutes, give or take 10 minutes. I do 4 sets of 6-8 reps.
-Protein: the only 'meat' I eat is fish or eggs (personal choice, nothing to do with working out). I still drink milk, cheese, any dairy. I've not had a 'protein shake' in 5 years and seem to gain muscle weight just fine.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:54 AM

Someone asked about creatine. Creatine is some type of supplement that helps muscle endurance. With the extra endurance your able to push more weight for a longer period of time which allows your body to naturally enhance muscles.

I am type 1 diabetic. I used creatine for a period while playing college football. There are some issues that creatine has on the liver. However I never experienced any issues while using creatine and that was 12 years ago.

In addition I found the combination of insulin and creatine allowed my body to build muscle faster than my teammates. Words of caution are not to drink alcohol and maintain a large diet.

See an endocrinologist if you have any issues.

I ended up in the hospital quite a bit during college due to low blood sugars and alcohol.

Tom