FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2011, 11:17 PM

Default Injection site...

Hi again. Just wondered If anyone has any advice or comments. I have been injecting since the 10th of Jan and its all been pretty painless. The odd twinge perhaps but nothing too bad. Tonight though when I was using my lantus pen it really stang. It took all my might not to just pull the needle out but I wanted to keep it in for the recommended 10 seconds to make sure the dose was right.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have always been injecting into the stomach so far. I pinch a little to get the needle started and then release as I push it in.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Adam_Fozz
Old 01-27-2011, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, it happens sometimes. You may have gotten a semi-dull needle or hit a nerve. Either one hurts, burns, etc.....

Danny
Old 01-27-2011, 09:55 AM

Thanks Dano, 2 or 2! You're on fire!!!

Where are you from? I live in the north west of England, UK.

You're right burning is prob a better description.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 01-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Adam;

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have been at this a long time. One thing that I wanted to mention, is that you should alter your injection sites. Use a grid system and inject upper arms, thighs and stomach. Somewhere on the web there is a diagram showing this. It is not recommended to inject in the stomach only.

I am located near south central USA. Kentucky to be exact.

Good luck, I wish you well.

Danny
Old 02-19-2011, 12:00 PM

Thanks dano. Do need to change site but haven't plucked up the courage yet. I was quite lean before diagnosis and since have lost some more weight so finding a decent area to pinch on legs and arms is tough. Anyone have an tips on injecting there a lack of fat?

Adam
Old 02-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Try the back or side of arm, between elbow and shoulder, and the back or side to thigh near hip.

Danny
Old 02-23-2011, 03:44 AM

Have you tried your butt? When I was on the pens I started on the stomach and arms, being skinny it got hard to keep pinching to inject, I was recommended to use my back side, no pinching needed just stab and press.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:14 PM

Do u guys not use no pinch needles ????? I only found out recently that ive been using them for 10 years lol , defo change sites i have big lump on stomach now from using same place
Old 04-16-2011, 10:37 PM

I've been dealing with Type 1 since July '10 an so far I've only injected in my stomach area. However, I consider the "injectable" area around my stomach to be quite large. Anything between the two sides of my torso and between my lower stomach almost up to my rib cage is fine for me and is absorbed well. I've never felt the need to change sites since this area offers plenty of room. I suppose this will vary based on the size of the person, though.

Regarding the pain, I have that happen to me every once in a while too. Not much you can do about it as far as I know. Sometimes the injection site bleeds a bit too; I've been told that that happens when I hit a capillary by chance.

If you do end up trying another site let me know how it compared to the stomach area I've been told that insulin is best absorbed in the stomach, so if you do try out other areas the effectiveness of the shot may be something to look at afterwards.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:23 PM

I usually inject in arms when away from home, I inject my daily dose of lantus in my behind and switch around for my novolog injections when I am home. I have only been injecting since september - but I'm starting to feel pretty hole-y by now. My dad injected for 5+ years.