FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2016, 07:20 PM

Default Faulty Meter

I've been working REALLY hard to get my T2 under control. I had been doing fairly well until about 2 months ago when my Meter readings started climbing. After discussing with the Diabetes Clinic, I increased my slow acting insulin to 32 units twice daily, and was heading to 34 units twice daily. My BGL's weren't improving and I started feeling nauseous from time to time. We did 2 A1C's a week apart and it turns out I'm at 7.1% (down from 12% a year ago). My meter has been giving me readings of 10, 12 and even 14 mmol/L. I hate to think what the true reading was when it was giving me 6.5 mmol/L. LifeScan (I'm using the OneTouch Verio) have said they will send me a replacement meter and box of test strips (meter is only a year old). They said a 15% variance is acceptable, but this exceeds 15%. Moral of the story: don't blindly trust your meter results, and if the numbers seem off and you feel hypo to boot, trust your gut.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:39 PM

That is scary and frustrating. I've certainly seen variations in my meters. I have two and have compared readings and one typically scores about ten higher than the other. I think you hit the nail on the head with your comment though. So important to gain a feeling for how you feel when things are high and low. I've had times where I didn't trust me readings and after rechecking I found it wrong.