FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2016, 04:11 AM

Default Possible Pre-Diabetes?

I'm 28 with previous gestational diabetes controlled with insulin. I also have a family history with diabetes. Doctor is having me monitor my sugar as I'm experiencing more frequent hypoglycemia symptoms. My fasting today read 138, after one slice of pizza read 139, before dinner read 119 and after dinner read 173. I'm needing help and advice on what I should discuss with my doctor!
Old 02-29-2016, 09:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to serialmom12 Send a message via Yahoo to serialmom12
Cool Don't let them drug you!!!!

First make sure that you really ARE diabetic. See an endocrinologist and not just a PCP. My PCP is a total Drama Queen and immediately wanted to put me on meds when my A1C was 5.7 and fasting BG 105. I'm sorry but that is NOT a diabetic's readings. Doctors get paid extra for pushing certain drugs and insurance companies often require that they write at least 1 rx for each patient. Don't be so quick to accept medication either. Eating low carb, staying away from sugared drinks and walking at least 2 miles per day has kept me on an even keel.
I have a SEVERE phobia of needles (and PTSD,) and could never shoot up anything into my body (I told my doctor, I'd rather be dead than to have absolutely NO quality of life and have to just 'exist' on artifical hormones to stay alive. Same thing goes for chemo....just shoot me and let me rest in peace.)
Good luck to you and also remember that NATURAL things often help way more than god-awful diabetes meds and with no terrible side effects like Kidney Failure. Have you tried Cinnamon? Bitter Melon? Tumeric? Venadium? Tumeric? Banaba Extract or Berberine? All work wonders with no bad side effects
Old 03-22-2016, 02:02 AM

I agree, see an endocrinologist. My husband is seeing an endocrinologist and he does blood tests every 3 months to monitor his blood sugar.

A proper diet, exercise and change in lifestyle would really help.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:42 AM

I had gestational diabetes with both my pregnancies. My youngest is now five and I was just diagnosed with early diabetes. My fasting numbers were high when I was in the hospital after surgery (152 and 148) so I monitored at home for a week afterward and found numbers around the same range. I pretty much expected this would eventually happen. I am not extremely overweight (could afford to lose five or ten) and have been watching what I eat and exercising since the pregnancies. I knew it was time to discuss with my doc. He had me do blood work and the fasting came back at 139. Way too high my A1C was not bad (definitely in pre diabetic range) at 5.8. He started me on 500 mg of metformin mainly to try and get the fasting numbers down. They are down a bit, but still not ideal - in the 120 range. I have completely cut out carbs as well. I don't think your doctor would be surprised to hear from you with that history. Mine wasn't! LOL. There are things that can be done now to help - even if you have not crossed that threshold yet. It is better to take proactive steps and I will say that pizza is one thing I can't eat - even one slice sends my numbers up. Too many carbs and not enough protein. Good luck!!
Old 01-27-2017, 01:34 PM

Default Diabetes Nutrition information

Ask for doctor for diabetes education or do some research online and look for glycemic index and glycemic load. Learning to eat well and avoid sweets can help you feel a lot better and keep your blood glucose more stable. Also eating a little something every couple of hours. Now, I do NOT mean a meal that often but maybe 6 almonds OR 1/8 cup of sunflower seeds OR a handful of grapes OR a couple slices of lunch meat OR a boiled egg. Also everyone is different and you need to find out what affects YOU and what works for YOU.