FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How Many Have Done Basel Tesing?
Yes 6 27.27%
No 16 72.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2010, 06:25 PM

Default Basal Testing: Get your Basal Amt. Set Correctly

I got the below instructions for settings one's daily basal amounts from the 'old timers' on the ADA board. I've really found experienced T1s to have some of the best systems management information out there.

Hope this is of some help to everyone. It takes a little bit of discipline, but is worth it. Remember, hyperinsulimia is one of the key degenerative states we need to guard against, or be on the lookout for; though you may not get that from your Endo. lol.

Best, Josh

Basal Test Starts Below
-And there is an attached file at bottom of the post you can simply download. It's in .txt format ( Plain Text )

First, I would highly recommend basal testing. This testing is to figure out if that one injection of Lantus is giving you 24 hour coverage because that's the whole point of a background insulin like Lantus or Levemir. Here are my favorite, very basic instructions on basal testing from integrateddiabetes.com:

Rules for performing basal tests:

1. No Food Being Digested
• You may not eat for at least 4 hours preceding the basal test.
• The meal/snack preceding the basal test should be low in fat.
• Do not eat during the basal test, unless your blood glucose is below 70*.
• You may have water or diet beverages during the test
• No caffeinated beverages during the basal test.
2. No Bolus Insulin Working During the Basal Test
• Do not bolus for at least 4 hours preceding the basal test.
• Do not bolus during the test, unless your blood glucose is above 250**.
3. No Changes in the Body's Normal Glucose Output
• No hypoglycemic episodes for at least 6 hours preceding the basal test.
• No illnesses during the testing (fever, infection, virus)
• No steroid medications being used
• Avoid testing during major stages of menstrual cycle if blood glucose changes are usually noted
4. Allow Basal Insulin to be Delivered Uninterrupted
• Do not put the pump into suspend
• Do not disconnect from the pump.
5. Maintain low-moderate activity level
• Do not exercise starting 4 hours after last meal/snack.
• You may perform light/moderate exercise soon after last meal/snack if it is your normal time to do so.
• Perform usual daily activities during basal test.
6. Monitor blood glucose levels
• Start testing at least 4 hours after last meal/snack/bolus.
• Use the same blood glucose meter throughout the testing.
• Check blood glucose level every 2 hours.
• Testing may be performed for 4-12 hours.
* For readings below 70, take carbohydrate and stop the basal test.
** For any readings above 250, stop the basal test and check for ketones.

So that's the first step. Next start testing your insulin to carb ratio or I:C. Start with the premise that you need one unit of insulin for 15 grams of carbs. 5 units doesn't have to be "a lot" as long as it's matching the action of the carbs.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Basel Test PT.txt (2.2 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by ppa; 01-19-2010 at 02:12 AM.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:14 AM

Thanks a lot for this info; being a student it's hard to go to the doctor as often as I need to and I'd like to get my sugars narrowed down. One of my main concerns is exactly how much lantus and humalog I should be taking, and my doctor doesn't seem to do much more than say, "Well, is that working for you?" when I do go to him.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:06 PM

Thank you for the info, I'll give it a try. So far I've been doing the "trial & error" method and it seems to be working, but I'm curious and I'll try your test.

Thanks!

"Diabetes is a manageable condition not an handicap!"
Old 10-10-2012, 12:50 AM

Well said, very accurate!
Old 02-17-2013, 12:38 AM

The whole point of testing basal is lost if you're only performing the test for 4-12hrs. If you inject basal once per day then you need to fast for 24hrs. Unless you have a pump then your basal has a less than perfect curve. Different basals have different curves. Levemir has the best curve so far out of all basals. I take it twice per day with a higher dose at night but it's still far from even. I'll do three injections of basal soon but from research I've learned that a pump uses far less insulin and can be very accurate if you put some time and effort into dialing it in. A Dexcom G4 is the next step for me as it monitors BG every 5 mins and sends the data to the receiver with curves so you can see where you're heading. It can have alarm highs, lows and rapid rises and drops.

Anyway, dialing in basal will take some time but it's so worth it. Intermittent fasting in general will improve insulin sensitivity, fat burning, growth hormone secretion, satiability, give you energy and focus and more.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:27 PM

This application have it in Spanish because there are things I do not understand
Old 03-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaneliz View Post
This application have it in Spanish because there are things I do not understand
Sorry, no we do not have it in Spanish. Have you tried copying, the parts that you do not understand, into a English to Spanish language converter?

Danny
Old 04-23-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkyJo View Post
The whole point of testing basal is lost if you're only performing the test for 4-12hrs. If you inject basal once per day then you need to fast for 24hrs. Unless you have a pump then your basal has a less than perfect curve. Different basals have different curves. Levemir has the best curve so far out of all basals. I take it twice per day with a higher dose at night but it's still far from even. I'll do three injections of basal soon but from research I've learned that a pump uses far less insulin and can be very accurate if you put some time and effort into dialing it in. A Dexcom G4 is the next step for me as it monitors BG every 5 mins and sends the data to the receiver with curves so you can see where you're heading. It can have alarm highs, lows and rapid rises and drops.

Anyway, dialing in basal will take some time but it's so worth it. Intermittent fasting in general will improve insulin sensitivity, fat burning, growth hormone secretion, satiability, give you energy and focus and more.
Yep I agree with you the less you eat the better off you are I'm down to chicken broth, leafs of any kind, no sugar jello and a protein powder that mixes with water has no carbs 5% fiber. I am soooo Happy