FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2011, 07:25 AM

Default type 1 for almost 21 years

I'm 22 and I got diagnosed when I was about a year and some months. To make the story short, I've become more " free" ever since I started using the pump; but that's no help. I've been using the pump for almost 3 years now and at first everything was pretty colors. Now, my a1c is almost 10, I guess I've been spoiling myself and pretending I don't have Diabetes. I need help, how can I get on the ball again? I'm so scared cause I'm planning on getting married and I know being a girl with diabetes it's real hard to get pregnant or even give birth. So, if anyone has any comments or ideas please help me out to get back on track
Old 01-20-2011, 04:54 PM

Default It's not easy but it's worth it.

I have been a type 1 diabetic for 24 years and on the pump for 3.5 years. I was diagnosed right after my 18th birthday when I found out I was pregnant. I was 5'3 and 95 lbs. I had 4+ sugar in my urine. My blood glucose level was 880 and my A1C was 14.5. My father and his sister were both diagnosed with type 1 in their teens as well. Pregnancy is VERY difficult. I was hospitalized 4 times and they couldn't even get my blood sugars under control. My kidneys were shutting down and they scheduled my delivery. My first child was born by c-section 6 wks premature and 9lbs 8ozs. He had an enlarged heart, ventricular septal defect, and patent ductus arteriosis. He was on heart meds for 4 years and then he was discharged from cardiology. He is 23 and doing well. I lost my second pregnancy and the Dr. wanted me to tie my tubes at 19 yrs old. I refused so my second child was 10lbs 10ozs and healthy and my 3rd was 9lbs 13ozs and healthy.

Things were more difficult back then because there were no computers to look everything up.

The first thing you need to do is chart EVERYTHING: Blood sugar levels, number of carbs eaten, amount of insulin taken. Also log everything you eat. Check your blood sugar levels 8-10 times a day. NO SLACKING!
Get your A1C levels down before you conceive. High sugars cause defects.

Good luck to you and fight hard for what you want. It's so worth it!
Old 01-21-2011, 06:09 PM

Thanks a lot, and I'm happy your children are healthy now =)
Old 02-12-2011, 04:59 AM

I have had Type 1 since I was 7 years old. I am now 26...am married with 3 healthy babies. One 2 yr old and two 1 yr olds (twins)...I had no problems getting pregnant and no complications for either pregnancies. I just made sure my diabetes was under control and everything went fine. Don't be nervous or scared about pregnancy with type1 as long as u commit to keeping your numbers in check! Good luck
Old 02-13-2011, 09:33 PM

I have had diabetes since I was 2 and I now 24. I have been having trouble eating properly because I never have an appetite so I basically snack most the time. My a1c has been in the 6 & 7 lately tho. I was on the pump for a while too but didnt seem to work as good
Old 02-25-2011, 02:49 AM

I've been T1 for 27 years, diagnosed at 13 and grew up thinking I would never have children. My control is not fantastic but I have now have 2 beautiful children, 2 and 4 years old. I had absolutely no problems getting pregnant and my Dr's took such good care of me (to the point of driving me nuts!!) !while pregnant. My first child was premature but is in perfect health and my second was all clear sailing. As I've said on another similar post, my children are my proudest achievement as a diabetic!
Old 03-07-2011, 03:59 AM

I am 27 and was diagnosed right before my 19th bday. My blood sugar was 1000+ and everyone thought I was going to die. After eight years (mostly bc of my own stupidity and immaturity) I have no control of my sugars and my A1C is 16%. At 21 I got pregnant and had a beautiful healthy baby boy. Unfortunately, my son is mentally challenged but there's no telling whether it's from my diabetes or not. He is physically healthy. He may even grow out of his current problems. People with diabetes have children all the time. The easiest way to get back on track is to try and keep on schedule. Eat around the same times and eat about the same amount of carbs per meal. Balance is a key to diabetes. (I need to take my own advice, I know) Diabetes sucks, but anyone can have a normal, happy, healthy life AND pregnancy with diabetes. It's just a matter of taking control. Good luck with everything!
Old 03-11-2011, 02:09 PM

Does age play a bad factor in the whole conceiving & pregnancy as well? I am almost 31, had D for 20 years, since age 11. I don't plan on having any kids until I find a guy to spend my life with, but, I'm getting worried that it will get harder & be so much worse because of my age when I do eventually fall pregnant. My control is pretty good, usually in the 5&6's mmol. But, my age is starting to make me think I will be putting me & my future child at risk of major health problems. Another D friend of mine has perfect control & during her first pregnancy she had huge issues, she even went blind during her last trimester (thankfully her sight returned a few weeks after her son was born). But it makes me really, really scared!
Old 03-20-2011, 07:08 PM

pulse oximeter
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanita88 View Post
I'm 22 and I got diagnosed when I was about a year and some months. To make the story short, I've become more " free" ever since I started using the pump; but that's no help. I've been using the pump for almost 3 years now and at first everything was pretty colors. Now, my a1c is almost 10, I guess I've been spoiling myself and pretending I don't have Diabetes. I need help, how can I get on the ball again? I'm so scared cause I'm planning on getting married and I know being a girl with diabetes it's real hard to get pregnant or even give birth. So, if anyone has any comments or ideas please help me out to get back on track
I have been in a similar situation to you before however I was diagnosed as an adult. I have had times where I started to fall off the wagon and it seems difficult to get back on. You just have to buckle down for a couple weeks to get the ball rolling. That's what has helped me. In regards to pregnancy, the more you follow a healthy lifestyle the higher your chances are of getting pregnant I have read. So if you are not on top of a healthy diabetic lifestyle you are only hurting your chances. Best of luck! Hang in there
Old 03-30-2011, 07:34 PM

Re: Tiffany 80.. Been T1 for 27 years now, but was 34 when I had my first, 36 when I had my second. Like all older parents it's more about actually being an older parent rather than the diabetes. I would have preferred to have children younger but the father of my children took a while to get his act together!!