FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2016, 08:35 PM

Default Diabetes nurse wants me to UP my carbs

I had GD with my second child back in 2012. Was diagnosed with it at 24.5 weeks this time. Saw the diabetes nurse at 25.5 weeks and she was horrified that I don't eat enough carbs and says I'm the first person she has encountered who she has told to eat more and not less!

I haven't eaten bread or flour etc since January 2015. I've added bread, potatoes and crackers back in because she's convinced my baby will be brain damaged from ketones. I asked about ketones in women who have severe hyperemisis (morning sickness) but she said "that's different because it's not on purpose".

I'm a little lost as the amount of carbs she wants me to consume seems insane (about 200g per day) and I was under the impression that a little LESS carbs was the ticket to blood sugar control? I've upped mine to about 120g per day, and having toast with breakfast etc.

Baby is measuring spot on for dates, my blood sugar control is great, but she's still wanting me to lower fat and protein for carbs.

Is this just the particular nurse I've landed or are they all like this? I'm a little over 26 weeks and live in New Zealand. We measure in mmol/L here and my 2 hour post meal ranges from 4.0mmol/L to 5.3mmol/. They want to see under 6.7mmol/L for this reading.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:01 AM

Yes, sugar isn't the culprit in diabetes, fats seem to be most problematic (described rather in detail in the scholarly report at Causes of Diabetes mellitus: Does Garcinia Cambogia Extract Increase the Risk of Diabetes? ).

But you should focus on getting carbs from fresh fruits and fruit juices instead of starch from "bread, potatoes and crackers" to increase your metabolism and counteract the diabetic state.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to serialmom12 Send a message via Yahoo to serialmom12

If I were you I would have told that nurse to kiss my *ss in Macy's window.