FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2013, 02:50 AM

Smile Type 2 now complicated by heart problems

Hi, I'm msjodi777. I found out that I have Type 2 diabetes on 9/13/2001 - two days after 9/11 hard to forget, wouldn't you say? I have been able to control my levels with Glipizide beginning way back then, until just recently.

On August 21, of this year, I had my second heart attack, and was admitted to the hospital. Because of the heart attack, my blood sugar levels were up and down then up again... no rhyme or reason to it. While I was in the hospital, the doctors found out that my aortic valve must be replaced; I have 2 veins in the heart that are 100% blocked and need by-pass to correct that; my left carotid artery was 70% blocked; and I have cancer in the right breast. Fortunately, I was able to have my carotid artery fixed while I was in the hospital. The rest is still waiting for test results.

All in all it was not a fun stay, but I'm pretty much used to all of it now. I've had Glucose Buddy on my iTouch nearly as long as I've had the device (2 years maybe), but before this last hospital stay, I was not very committed to the testing. Now I am! I am also committed to changing the way I eat. No more cookies, or M&Ms Peanut Butter for me... sigh...

At this point, my biggest problem is remembering to test and take my meds. But, I just saw on the home page here, that GB has an alarm to remind me to do this, so I am going to find out how to set that up. I am getting ready to read the other forums to see what is here, and how to do what I need to do to work on getting this rotten disease under control. The docs tell me that I have to stay on the insulin (NovaLog and Lantis) until after all the other stuff is taken care of, but they have also told me to work on my diet. At this point, my goal is to get the diet under control so that when the heart and the cancer are fixed, I can go off the insulin, and use the diet to control the sugar. I know it can be done, others do it all the time... I intend to be one of those who knows the proper way to eat, and exercise so that I can control the levels.

Finally, I would like to say thank you very much for the great app, and the support forums, the app has helped me so much these past few days that I know when I understand all that I should be doing, tracking will become second nature. <><
Old 09-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Forum!

There is a "GB Help" thread that will most likely help you with some of your questions. Note that: Current Problems Noted After iOS 6.0, 6.0.1 and GB 3.7.0 Update Installation; Apparently they have removed the "Push Reminders" from the App. Currently, I use the iPhone Clock|Alarm feature and just set alarms for my reminders.

Read through the first three threads in the Type 2 Section, when you get a chance, if you have not already done so. These threads will most-likely help you a lot. Self education is one of the keys to successful management of your diabetes, along with a healthy / sensible diet and exercise. Basically, diabetes requires a life-style change for the better. Good luck with your control and management.

PS: You can still have the cookies and M&Ms Peanut Butter, but just in moderation. Use them, sparingly, as treats.

Danny

Last edited by dano; 09-13-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:02 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post
Welcome to the Forum!

There is a "GB Help" thread that will most likely help you with some of your questions.

Apparently they have removed the "Push Reminders" from the App. Currently, I use the iPhone Clock|Alarm feature and just set alarms for my reminders.

Self education is one of the keys to successful management of your diabetes, along with a healthy / sensible diet and exercise. Basically, diabetes requires a life-style change for the better. Good luck with your control and management.

PS: You can still have the cookies and M&Ms Peanut Butter, but just in moderation. Use them, sparingly, as treats.
Thanks Danny, I have been/will be looking over the other threads to gather as much information as I can. At this point, most of my questions are "did the doctor say to..." type questions which I actually need to address to her. Not a problem, I can just email her.

And you are right about the life-style changes... it really is just that! One of the things I am finding that works for me is taking down everything that I eat. If it hasn't been scanned or typed into myfitnesspal I don't eat it. Even though my son pooh-poohs the idea of doing it, it works for me and keeps me on track, and that is what is important. We each choose the tools that work for us - good thing there are a bunch of them. If GB had the ability to track and database to go with it, I would be in 7th heaven. But it doesn't so I use both apps. GB is the best of the diabetes trackers that I have found, and believe me, for a while I was using 4 of them just to see which I like better. GB won out hands down.

As for the cookies and the M&Ms... I should be able to eat them in moderation... but I know me, and I know my body... one cookie would lead to two, three, a dozen, maybe even 2 dozen.... and one or two M&Ms would lead to a bag or five... so I will stay away from them for a while... since this is a want rather than a need, it's a little easier to resist. <><
Old 09-14-2013, 05:22 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post
Welcome to the Forum!

Basically, diabetes requires a life-style change for the better. Good luck with your control and management.
I've been thinking about this comment quite a bit... and even though I have already said you are right, I think the truth of the matter is that you are right on several different levels.

First of all, as diabetics, we have to stop looking at food in the same way we have most of our lives. While we eat to survive, most of us in the US eat what we want, when we want. That does not work for diabetics. For one thing skipping meals is not good for us, and can cause problems.

Secondly, and again, it's pretty much a mind-set here in the US we eat till we are full, full, full (stuffed?). Overeating is also not good for us. Our bodies are in there wondering what in the world to do with all that food. Don't want to waste it, but don't need that much, so where does it go?

Finally, most of us, are addicted to sweet. We need to retrain ourselves to be happy with the sweet of dried fruit (which, still has lots of sugar, but it's not the empty sugar of a chocolate chip cookie or a bag of M&Ms... sigh... ) Some dried fruit, is really sweet... try it, you'll like it!

The life-style change has to be slow though... most of us want to change everything at once, but for most people that just doesn't work. It's just too much for our bodies, and our brains to handle. So move slowly, and take your time. The weight will come off, the cravings will end, the exercise will help, it all works together to make a better you. You can do it, just hang in there, and never give up. <><

Tags
introduction