FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2011, 02:59 AM

Default GB and Fat Secret Makes it work for me

Here are a few things I've tried with some degree of success that I wanted to document and since I have it in this form decided to share with a few friends that may be similarly challenged. Perhaps I can inspire someone to take the "lose five pound challenge" That first Five will make a huge difference in your life. I know I just came from there. Go for it!

After having gotten my weight up to 262, mainly due to type 2 diabetis. I tried a few different diets to get things under control. I found that none really worked on any sustainable basis, I found it convenient to blame my weight gain on the daily use of insulin. That went on for about six months until I faced reality and concluded that the only way to win the fat loss battle is to reduce calories. 1) either by eating smaller portions or 2) If you don't want to eat less, than you have to exercise more ........to burn up the extra calories but the bottom line is "no sustained weight loss unless you reduce calories one way or the other".. re-train the brain. Less is better. Make it work.

I've found that by using the Fatsecret.com (Fat Secret App) program and documenting every thing I eat that I am better able to manage portion control and rarely, if ever exceed my daily calorie budget of 2300. That's scary. I now understand in real time exactly what the effect of poor discipline will be and what I have left to eat to get through the day. My exercise routine has been spotty at best the last few months largely do to weather, appointments, and such. etc; so I have set my daily calorie intake intentionally a few hundred points lower to compensate. Now my exercise calorie burn in effect becomes a bonus rather than part of the essential equation. If I don't exercise daily it doesn't compromise my fitnes efforts, and stall the weight loss. If I exercise I get the extra kick that day. So far the plan is working as long as I work the plan. I've lost 12 pounds since the first of the year; pretty much on track with losing a pound a week. I've documented every morsel of food and drink I've put into my body since Jan 1st. Blood pressure's are down somewhat and for sure my glucose is being better controlled evidenced by lower calculated A1C reading; and the fact that I've completely stopped using the Rapid acting insulin (Apidra) with every meal I credit the graphing capability of GlucoseBuddy.com (Glucose Buddy App) with that achievement, entirely. It documents my entries in the daily log to produce a graphic line depiction in color of the high's and low's+ average readings superimposed over my weigh in's and daily average blood pressure systolic, diastole + heart rate. Impressive display and really gives a good over view of each paramiter's influence on the other. It gets you in the mind frame to "not want to miss the next data point" to post so it encourages me to keep picking my finger and documenting the readings.

So far so good, I'm down to 246 and my calculated A1C is down to 5.6 without the fast acting insulin use. I am thoroughly convinced that the only way to keep the diabetes under control is to be proactive getting intimantly involved you simply can't expect to present yourself in front of your Endocrinologist every three months and let him guess at your condition with the help of an A1C test.
You just have to be more hands-on or things have no chance at getting much better. I bascially did this for 4 years, tried the whole gamut of meds and sticks and pricks all to no avail. Bottom line was I was no better and certainly worse off because I was putting on weight eating like a fat hog. (with an insulin use excuse).

Now I know it doesn't have to be that way, and it's kind of fun using these apps to track things. It only takes 21 days to form a new habit and I know I'm well past that point and on my way.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Archam;

Well said, and congratulations to you! Thanks for your post!

I have said many times that people must take the diabetes bull by the horns, I don't really think many of them know what that means. Maybe your post will help them to see.

Danny

Tags
carb counting, weight, weight loss