FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2010, 11:19 PM

Default Hey from the Philippines

hello, im really glad to have found Glucose Buddy. Its a God sent app

Last Month mid March, i went to have an executive checkup cause i woke up one morning and after breakfast (High G.I.), i became fatigued. Prior to that i was urinating too frequently despite the gallons of water i was drinking.

I already suspected diabetes which prompted my check up. Anyway, at the same time, i also noticed a boil in my lower back - my ass actually hehe. It was just at the top near the end of my tailbone.

After a week waiting for the results, my boil got so bad despite the antibiotics that i had to go to the hospital emergency.

In short, i had to undergo surgery. They did the standard blood works and all of course. Surgery went well and they told me soon enough that i was diabetic. They started giving me insulin and janumet the whole time i was confined. Monitoring my BS the whole time.

I was also on I.V. for the pain killers for my post surgery.

All throughout this time i can hardly move, IV in my hand didnt make things easier. The incision being in my ass meant i could only lay on my sides or front.

On the 5th day, i was sent home but the Sugar Doc told me that we will be trying oral meds (Janumet) for a month and see if it could control my BS.

When i got home i did some research and found out some serious warnings by the FDA regarding Janumet. I was apprehensive because of this and still i took it for 5 days. I also went on a low G.I. diet.

Then, i thought, why not go on a ketogenic diet? So i did. After 5 days of ketogenic diet my blood sugar was so much better. I wasnt even taking Janumet since i started this diet.

Unfortunately, i was hit by gout. A side effect of ketone production (Ketogenic diet) inhibiting uric acid clearance by the kidneys. Normally, i could get through this without an acute gout attack - as long as i make it 2 weeks, my system would have adapted to ketones. I was just too aggressive with this diet i guess. Im back to Low G.I. w fruits to ensure no ketones are produced. That would be a dangerous combi - high blood sugar, high insulin, and ketones (Ketoacidosis)

Anyway, now, its been another week of being bed ridden cause of gout (On both ankles). I started walking 2 days ago but there are still some uric acid crystals present in my ankle joints making walking not a 100% painless.

Hopefully, i should get full flexibility in my ankles within a week as the crystals dissolve.

Ive been bedridden so long, its agonizing.

This is a very good app. The community looks very promising specially the in-app forums - its just that i cant seem to post from he iphone despite rebooting twice. I was able to post once from in-app but its nowhere to be seen. Then, the next day im getting the "username error" again.

Anyway, it truly is a very promising development in the right direction and a tremendous gift to everyone who is or has a loved one with diabetes. Hats off to you Sir Dano.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Forum. I hope your condition gets better soon. Did they check your Thyroid during your hospital stay?

Danny