FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2011, 01:05 AM

Default Buying Lantus & Humalog in Mexico?

I live in Northern California, I don't have any insurance because I'm self employed, and I can drive to the California/Mexico border in about 8 to 10 hours.

I have heard that insulin is a lot cheaper in Mexico and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect if I was to drive to Northern Mexico, Tijuana or Mexicali, to buy a few months worth of Lantus, Humalog and any other prescription I may need?

Thanks
Old 03-07-2011, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Forum!

I don't know anything about the prices of the insulin in Mexico. Most people that don't have insurance do this: "Insulin - If you do not have health insurance coverage you will find the analog insulins most doctors prescribe obscenely expensive. These include Lantus, Levemir, Humalog, Novolog and Apidra. Fortunately there are older, insulins that are much cheaper which you can use instead. These cheap insulins are sold only at Wal-mart and are the Relion Novolin R, a faster acting insulin, and the Novolin NPH, which is a longer acting insulin. (Other pharmacies may sell NPH and R but they sell them at a much higher price.)" I hope the information helps.

Danny
Old 03-07-2011, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post
Welcome to the Forum!

I don't know anything about the prices of the insulin in Mexico. Most people that don't have insurance do this: "Insulin - If you do not have health insurance coverage you will find the analog insulins most doctors prescribe obscenely expensive. These include Lantus, Levemir, Humalog, Novolog and Apidra. Fortunately there are older, insulins that are much cheaper which you can use instead. These cheap insulins are sold only at Wal-mart and are the Relion Novolin R, a faster acting insulin, and the Novolin NPH, which is a longer acting insulin. (Other pharmacies may sell NPH and R but they sell them at a much higher price.)" I hope the information helps.
I buy Humulin R and Humulin N without a prescription at various pharmacies. Lantus and Humalog are what I should be taking but they are expensive. I can get prescriptions no problem, $175.00 for a visit to the doctor’s office.

What I am looking for is “what can I expect from a visit to Mexico to buy prescriptions”?
Old 03-07-2011, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator

I understood your question, but I though the information might help.

The first thing that I would do is find out if you have to declare the purchased medicine coming back into the US. No one would want to spend time in a Mexican jail. I know some people do this with prescription eye wear, again I just don't know the answer for meds. Good luck in your quest.

Danny
Old 06-02-2011, 08:37 PM

Default Lantus Insulin in Mexico near Arizona Border

I am not a DR. or an expert in these affairs, only, I am involved.

Thought I would weigh in. I buy Lantus Insulin in Mexico. My crappy health insurance allows me to pay $100 per vial at COSTCO! Although I haven't shopped around PHX. I assume it is hard to beat this price.

For I time, I found what I needed just over the border. One key to this is finding a Pharmicea with a refrigerator, as insulins must be chilled.

I found a place that was about $52 a (larger) vial. Very pleased, it was a good buy, so long as we were making the trip.

One day, that all dried up and they refused to sell it anymore. Another 50 miles down the road were countless pharmiceas. A search of over 20 turned up zilch, nada. You mean out of 26,000 peoples there are no type 1 or 2's?

The last store we visited had Lantus. For some reason it was about $60 per vial and has now dropped to $56... Still reasonable. The staff told us to call a few days out to place an order.

As for declaring it, I don't. But, I will be seeing my Dr. soon and will request a letter that will clear up any misconceptions regarding the use and need to carry vials and syringes. One in spanish too! Ha, wouldn't that be great.

It wasn't difficult to ask for a long range perscription (permission slip) from the Dr. once she understood that it was for the border and not much else.

My original place told me that because of the new policy in MX, Insulin would come under a Mexican Dr.'s permission ($30 consultation fee) and was now controlled. Hence, no longer carrying it. Further, the use of pesos was to become mandatory and US $'s were being phased out because of sanctions put on the shopkeepers limiting them to how many dollars they could deposit during a specified time.

The good news is that after several months of using the Lantus of MX it looks to be exactly the product sold in the states except a different label on the vial and the box to, same graphics and have had no side effects.

Hope that helps. There are a lot of diabetics out there, no matter where you go around the world, eh?

Tags
buying humalog mexico, buying lantus mexico