FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2015, 08:05 PM

Smile Afrezza inhaled insulin

Hi, I am a 46 year old male who has had type 1 for 16 years. I was one of the first people to be prescribed Exubera (An inhaled insulin) and I was the last person in the world to use it (They sent me a two + year supply during the companies last week in business).

I LOVED Exubera, I could take it with me any where, no refrigeration, no worries about shaking it up, it was fast and easy to use. No embarrassment in public, it was very fast acting and did a great job at controlling my Glucose levels. I had NO side affects from this drug. For me it was a total game changer for my diabetes. Unfortunately, they pulled the plug on Exubera due to lack of sales.

Yesterday, my doctor prescribed Afrezza to me. A newly released fast acting inhaled insulin. Just like Exubera, I had a Lung test (Spirometry) performed last week to get a base line on my lung performance. It is a quick, easy test that is covered by most insurances. Then I saw my Endocrinologist to obtain the prescription. The pharmacy (Safeway) had to order it and guaranteed to have it in less than 24 hours. My insurance covers Afrezza, so it will cost me $25.00 a month.

If Afrezza works anything like Exubera worked for me, I will be back to only taking one shot of Lantus a day, and having better control of my type 1. Currently my h1ac is 6.99.

I understand that inhaling insulin is not for everyone, but it definitely is for some of us. I get very tired of the entire taking a shot thing. Yes, we get used to it, but I can tell you the convenience and freedom that the inhaled insulin's give you is incredible. You can actually think about other things during your day and live your life with out constantly calculating and thinking about all the details associated with keeping tight control. If you do not have tight control, inhaled insulin may be the thing to give it to you. It is just way easier to use.

I welcome feedback on this issue, I have seen a lot of arguments in other forums and A LOT of mis-information about inhaled insulin's. Like I said, it is not for everyone who is a diabetic, but the vast majority of type 1 diabetics fail to take their shots as frequently as they should in order to maintain tight control. Afrezza could be a life changing drug that benefits many diabetics by helping them maintain better control.

Hey Glucose Buddy.. Can we update your medication list to include Afrezza?

Thanks!

Tags
afrezza, fast acting, inhaled insulin