FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2010, 05:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to smstebner
Unhappy Adjusting to Metformin??

I was put on this medication 2 days ago - I'm only taking 1 pill/day at dinnertime, and then gradually working my way up to 4 pills/day at dinnertime. I was told to do this because it can make you sick ... well to say the least, its been horrible (and i'm only taking 1 pill!)

Has anyone else had this side effect from adjusting to Metformin??

I called the pharmacist and they said its normal and I just have to live through it

Any advice?
Old 02-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

I take 2,000 mg of Metformin per day and have for several years. I have not noticed any side effects. I think that once your system get used to the med your problems with taking it will subside.

Danny
Old 02-07-2010, 05:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to smstebner
Red face

Oh I do hope it gets better!
I am currently on 500mg 1x/day but he wants me working up to 4 pills, so yes 2,000mg as well.

I'm just upset that me being soo sick is "normal" and I can't do anything about it but just "live through it and it'll get better" ya know?

Hard to be able to go to work, school, etc. when I'm in and out of the bathroom hours at a time

Thanks for the hope though! I do hope it'll all just subside. I'll probably stick to the 1pill (500mg) for a few days before I increase to 2 pills.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:26 PM

I was on metf. for a number of years. The first month was awful! I told my nurse there had to be something else I could use but she encouraged me to keep trying for another week or two. Finally I adjusted. The only problem I had after that was upset stomach if I ate a high fat meal. Fat is not your friend with this medication.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:39 AM

Default I'm on 500mg 2x a day...

I've been on Metformin for 16 months...the only reactions I had to it was the fact that my nausea, head aches and dizzy spells went away...I had those symptoms because my blood sugar was out of control. I felt better almost immediately...I'm sorry to hear that you are not feeling well on the meds...hopefully you will feel beter soon...
Old 03-03-2010, 08:44 PM

Smile Acid Indigestion

The only problem that I had with metformin, and I take 2000mg per day is indigestion. This may be after eating a meal high in fat. I have been taking it for some five years.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:33 PM

Unhappy Why high fat?

I do not understand about the high fat meals. Why would MetFormin make one sick after a high fat meal? I really do not want to get into a debate on diet beliefs, but I am certain that carbohydrates are the major problem in dealing with diabetes. Why would a drug for diabetes be developed that would be sensitive to fat?

I take metFormin and have for the past month. I am having trouble with it. I started with 500 mg at dinnertime. My doctor told me to do that to see how well I tolerated it. I was fine with the once a day, but when I started taking it twice a day it really made me sick. One thing I found is that I have to take the second pill WITH dinner. If I wait even one hour I know that I will have indigestion and pain later in the evening.

Sometimes, even if I take it with dinner, I still feel sick in the night. When that happens, I cut back to once a day for a day or so. I notice a difference in my numbers when I take two doses a day so I stick with it. But it is a miserable drug.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:59 PM

Default Re:Adjusting to Metformin??

Bear in mind that Metaformin must taken with food in order to keep it from screwing up the blood sugar. Eaten with food, you should not have any problems with it. I'm up to 2550 mg a day (3 tablets, 1 tablet with a meal).
Old 03-26-2010, 09:29 PM

I have been taking Metformin for months, there are two types of this drug metformin regular and Metformin HCL. I cannot take regular as it gave me terrible diarrea and nausia. Once my Endo switched me to HCL I was fine. Is this what you mean by getting you sick?

RD
Old 03-26-2010, 09:50 PM

I was taking 2000mg of metformin a day, 2 pills with breakfast and 2 with largest meal of day. I was experiencing alot of diarrhea and stomach cramps, but the worst was constant headaches. As I already migraine frequently, this was not making me the happiest of campers. My internist switched me to Janumet twice daily. This has a combination of Januvia and Metformin (500mgs) in one pill. I take one with breakfast and one with either lunch or dinner, whichever is larger. This is keeping my blood sugar levels in pretty good control and I have been feeling better than I have in a long time. I hope this helps someone!!

KT in FL

Tags
metformin