FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2015, 03:58 AM

I have been using to test different criterion/situations. A half hour moderately challenging walk with my dog drops my glucose about 50 pts. immediately after.

Strength training (I'm a power lifter) for 45 minutes gives me the same drop after a half hour or so. NOT immediately.

Good thing because I hate cardio.

Nobody in this thread seems to be doing any strength training... I'm wondering why? It's crucial for health. The
Old 05-05-2015, 04:26 PM

Keep on doing what you are doing. It is not your exercise; its your nutrition that is mostly responsible for the increases you are experiencing after exercise. Your adrenaline has only a minor contribution. Try a scoop of Whey protein powder and add about
2 gm of Creatine in about 8 oz of water. I was an Exercise Physiologist in my early career; went to Law School later in life, got fat and diabetic. Three years ago my BG was 280. I lost the unnecessary 48 lbs and my BG Avg is now usually 100. Good luck. Hope this helps. JD
Old 05-05-2015, 04:44 PM

By the way, the Whey/Creatine drink I suggested earlier should be taken 15-30 minutes pre-exercise to help stabilize your sugar. The Creatine will help to drive water into your striated muscle cells and keep the muscles hydrated.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:06 PM

I am disabled in my back, and there are just very few exercises I can do as I just cannot stand for more than a couple of minutes. But I have found a couple things I'd like to share for others in the same boat. I bought exercise pedals for about $23. You pedal it like a bicycle, and it is just the pedals. So if yo u don't have the room for an exercise bike this is a really nice alternative. You can also put them up on a table to exercise your arms. Then a diabetes nurse gave me an exercise band. Some things I stand up for, but I can do just a couple minutes at a time, then I sit down and do exercises which are fine that way. Then I stand again and do other, or repeat, exercises. I don't get my 150 minutes in per week, but some is way better than none.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:56 PM

I'm a strength athlete and semi pro football player at age 50. After a recent very mild heart attack. My Type 2 not medication dependent diabetes went from an average BG of 125 to 400. Now I take 1000mg Metformin 2x a day. My nutrition counselor told me that cardio will reduce my BG numbers and lifting will increase it. Is this correct and if so why? I'm well versed in nutrition and nutritional timing. But haven't heard this before.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to serialmom12 Send a message via Yahoo to serialmom12

It couldn't hurt!! Start slow and keep at it. I'm up to walking 3-5 miles every day. I bet my Dr that I would totally reverse the pre diagnosis and I'm doing just that.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to serialmom12 Send a message via Yahoo to serialmom12

Yes. My sugar is totally under control with my walking 3-5 miles 7 days a week.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmontgom View Post
My nutrition counselor told me that cardio will reduce my BG numbers and lifting will increase it. Is this correct and if so why? I'm well versed in nutrition and nutritional timing. But haven't heard this before.
"Sometimes blood glucose rises with exercise, especially vigorous activity such as weight lifting. This is because the liver pumps out glucose at very high rates during high intensity exercise, and sometimes the supply of glucose is greater than your body needs. The muscles cannot burn the glucose as fast as the liver is producing it."

Reference:
http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.a...t=7001&id=7516

Danny
Old 01-20-2016, 04:45 PM

Watch the video Simply Raw by Dr Gabriel cousens. I went on a raw food diet and have been cured of my diabetes and don't take medication. It works!! Make sure you test your sugars a lot while doing the diet. Get his book 'there is a cure for Diabetes'
Diet with exercise too.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:15 PM

I have over 20 yeas with type 2 and at 49 years.. My exercise has done wonders for me. I workout 1 hour on treadmill every night or aerobics to change the routine and lost 26LBs and soon after my Reading went down from 135-250 to 70-150. I cut all whites such as pasta, bread, rice, cereals for Browns such as wholewheat, low fat, etc. morning readings are lows and I can control spikes easier. Life style changes are critical for success. I have a target of 10,000steps minimum but usually go up to 15-20K. Warmup bf workout is important to avoid injuries that will delay your objectives. Do not give up and eat healthy!!

Tags
10000 steps, exercise, type 2 diabetes, walking, weight loss