FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2011, 03:03 AM

All I have to say is, my sugar before a three and a half mile hike in the woods was 313, also after lunch... After the hike it dropped to 110.... Even still, after another 2 hours it dropped further to 87... Too bad I couldn't keep my glucose levels this low at all times.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:28 AM

I 've been on a 90 day challege at a health clb and see what u mean I tested when I got up yesterday Then did 2 hr wkot and retested before eating results ... 94 before wkot 134 after only h2o before test while working out. Go figure but my A1c has come dn since Dec to 6.5 from 10 and weight from 214 to 191.5 after 3.5 months. 4 times a week on a sta. bike 30+ min + circuit mach, + yoga and arobics. Doc says may be able to get off meds. The hardest thing for me is counting carbs after years of eat it all.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:45 AM

Hey there bluefrog, doctor is right, you might be able to get off your meds. Happened to me for about 4 years. If you do manage to do it, advice is to stay monitoring and exercising. I'm type 2, was on insulin (2 yrs), then meds (1 year), then completely off (about four years). Unfortunately, got a little complacent. On meds now, working to get off them again, I have some good days where the meds are too strong, but as you get older its harder.

So words of encouragement, watch what you eat -- stay off the refined carbs, exercise and monitor. Good luck!
Old 06-17-2011, 10:44 AM

I read this thread with interest. I was diagnosed in May as Type 2, diet controlled but if I couldn't get my fasting numbers under control I would have to go on metaformin.

I started walking 1.5 miles in the morning and 1.5 miles after dinner... I have a new shepherd so it helps him as much as me!
I noticed my evening testing fell below or just over 100 after walking and my fasting avg for the past few days is around 115!! I am very excited by this! I've also dropped 11 lbs so that also is helping I say go for it!!
Old 07-16-2011, 03:28 AM

Was diagnosed with type 2 a bit over 3 years really did not do anything until 4 weeks agoppppp
Old 07-24-2011, 08:12 PM

I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes 3 months ago and the excerise has been very helpful. I walk the dog 3 times a week and go to the gym 4 times a week. Even more than that is a change of diet. I've all but gave up meat and dairy products. I still eat a very little of these. Mainly a bit of butter on my grits and oatmeal, low fat yogurt with cereal, and a small amount of meat cooked with beans and soup. When I do eat a lot of meat and/or dairy my sugar and BP goes up. Also, no more processed food for me. Not only it was driving my sugar up, it's just plain unhealthy. I called over some friends and told them to take what they wanted, I'm done with everything on the table. The reward for all of this is my sugar level has dropped to an average of 117. Like I said in the intro my fasting is still a bit high but I'll get it down also. Against doctors orders I stopped taking metformin and some other medication he gave me. I also stopped the BP medication. I believe medicine should not be used as a long term answer. I'm not saying you should stop your meds. Just my own opinion. What I did was stop doing the things that got me here. Eating unhealthy, lack of rest, lack of excerise, too much stress. I still monitor everything, glucose, heart rate, and BP very closely and keep meds with me at all times in case I'm wrong. My doctor is a bit upset that I stopped the meds, but he is pleased with the results. I told him I wasn't going to eat another pill unless I absolutly had to. So far, So good.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:09 PM

Hello! This is my fist post here. I just want yo say thank you all for being here for one another! I believe this will benefit us all! Ok, exercise and blood sugar levels. I have had two Drs. Handle my diabetes. The first specialized in diabetic medicine. When I told him my bs went up after exercising, ( even thought my blood sugars were going down overall, which was ok by me! ) he would get upset and tell me "I was the only person in America this happened to, because exercise ALWAYS brings blood sugars down!" this, of course, scared me.

My current Dr. Tells me: "Jacque, everyone is different, what works for some, might not work for others. You have to experiment, try things and see what works best for you."

I also have Fibromyalgia, walking burns my legs and riding A trike ( when I can, ) is my favorite way to exercise, besides swimming.

Just remember, this is not a cookie cutter disease, find the things that work for you, move however you like, just move! Movement and exercise will make an overall difference, if not an immediate difference in you numbers!

Ok! Enough from the long ended woman!
Jacque
Old 08-04-2011, 04:38 PM

I recommend testing in pairs. Take your BG before and after exercise. You will find a significant drop in BG! Walking 30 minutes daily will improve insulin resistance. You will notice your morning BG lowers over time.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:04 PM

I take healthy dog walks, do the treadmill, use the exercise bike, and do my own yardwork and landscaping. It does wonders for the gls. Also rarely drink alcohol and diet sodas. And I cook most of the meals we have in the house, to gain better control of the salt intake. Hardly ever eat out. I check my gls 4x daily, take the meds, and keep doc appts. Also read web forums to share info and try to maintain a positive attitude to help deal with those weak moments. It's all part of a T2's mindset that is crucial in the struggle with diabetes.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:05 AM

Yes it works. I started 1st of year with diet and exercise and have lost almost 40 pounds. The highest reading I had was 155 and lowest 82. A1c went from 8.2% to 6.6%, don't like use of diet. It has to be a life style change. Good luck in your journey.

Tags
10000 steps, exercise, type 2 diabetes, walking, weight loss