FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2012, 05:25 AM

YES...i also like eating oatmeal it helps with digestion too, i like flax in it...i use stevia sweetener and take acidophilus supplements...WHAT you eat is very important not JUST low carb...that stuff isnt good for you i dont really buy into all that stuff. Eat healthy low carb, low fat food. Its very important especially to eat for your eyes kidneys and digestion, exercise is very important for circulation in all of these areas. i think they need to educate diabetics more in the consequences of not keeping good control...like show them videos and stuff showing you all the bad stuff...like they do poeple who smoke to get them to stop. It seems like there is alot of stuff out there for t2's but not so much is geared to t1's due to the percentages...but from what i have been reading type 1's are also increasing in numbers and the hope for a cure i once had and was given by people in the medical feild..is gone...when i was diagnosed i was told there would be a cure before i probably would experience any complications from the disease....not so dont count on iT people...take care take good care.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:48 PM

Hey Claus
I'm a 15 year old type 1 diabetic girl. My lowest a1c was 6.2 my problem is soon I'll be 16 and able to get my permit I'm just afraid if my a1c is high I can't get it. What should I do?
Old 07-11-2012, 08:26 AM

Please post more tips on how to control blood sugars and reduce A1c levels. Mine is at an all-time high and it seems like nothing I do is sufficient. I was diagnosed with type 1 when I was 10 months old and I am now 20. My diabetes health and control is the worst it has ever been. Help!!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:23 PM

Diagnosed 2 years ago, but was put on Lantus just a few weeks back. My endo was concerned about my waking sugars bg being high (generally over 12, sometimes as high as 14). I'm on a 75u dose at bedtime and had my first 5.2 reading ever!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:04 AM

I've been a type 1 for a few years now. I started out great in the low 6s but after I had my daughter last year I can't seem to come out of the 8.5 a1c. Has any one had any problems like this? I'm just afraid I'll keep rising but I haven't had a single different test result for the last year. How can all your a1c all be exactly the same
Old 08-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola22103 View Post
I'm just afraid I'll keep rising but I haven't had a single different test result for the last year. How can all your a1c all be exactly the same
I am not understanding exactly what you mean here. An A1c of 8.5% equates to an average blood sugar of 197 mg/dl. If you are not seeing this type of reading during the day, try taking some readings during the night.

If you are seeing the same A1c each time that you have the lab test run, then your blood sugars reading should have told you this over the last three months, since the majority of them should average ~200 mg/dl. If this is the case, then I urge you to seek an average blood sugar reading of less than 140 mg/dl ( ie an A1c of less than 6.5%).

Danny

Last edited by dano; 08-02-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:57 PM

Hey
Old 10-09-2012, 01:05 PM

This is a great post. So many of ur rules are rules I have to follow too. Testing often usually helps the most, then making sure I'm exercising and using my insulin pump effectively. I know everyone can't get a pump but if u can u can control ur blood sugars so much easier. I have had my A1c under 6 for 9 years. I have had DM1 for 16 years. During my teenage and college years my A1c was anywhere from 7 to 11 depending on my habits. I was not checking my blood sugar regularly and I was eating horribly. My endo has told me that research shows if u keep ur A1c under 7 DMs chance of having blindness, neuropathy, or kidney diease is at the same rate of a "normal" person. So for DMs who r not perfect, don't beat ur self up. U don't have to b perfect to live a healthy life.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:54 AM

For me, aiming for the "5" club would kill me. I have proteinuria, so therefore I restrict my protein to avoid kidney failure.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:18 PM

1. Intermittent fasting is the single most effective way to control BG. It improves your insulin sensitivity, stabilizes the lows (you can go much lower without crashing), improves your impulse response helping you stay away from nasty carbs, increases secretion of growth hormone which will make you pack on valuable muscles, puts you in a fat burning mode contrary to what everyones belief and also releases chemicals that make you more focused and alert. If you believe in evolution this will make sense. If you're hungry you got to have some energy to find new food (there goes your bodyfat) muscles to move (let's save those) focus (release the chemicals for a sharper mind that won't get sidetracked every 30 seconds) and so on.

When you feed you go into the fed state which is there to store all the energy into the body. The carbs get stored in the muscles and the liver. The basal insulin is there to balance slow steady stream of sugar being released by the liver throughout the day. The fed state lasts around 6 hours or so during which you are storing energy, not releasing. This is also when your growth hormone is at its lowest. So, this is the time to rest.

2. Find and set your basal. I do my Levemir twice per day to overlap eachother due to the imperfect curve of efficiency. During fasting I do not want to be taking any bolus inulin to lower the BG because the body will think you're eating and send you to the fed state. If you are crashing during the fast, that's ok, just eat the least amount of carbs to get you up to where you're felling ok again. When I fast I aim to hoover at 4-5 (75-90) but I can go as low as 3 and still feel ok for 15-30mins. And I work with moving boxes and furniture all day

3. Free weight lifting. Heavy weights. Yes, deadlifts, squats, chins, dips, bench, row and military press.

4. No processed carbs. If it looks different than in the wild, don't eat it.

5. Eating 5,6,7 meals per day is for bodybuilders on the juice. If you eat 5-6000kcals every three days, you'll be fine. The body stores everything, don't worry. On gym days I fast 16hrs and feed 8hrs, 16/8. But sometimes I do 20/4 on gymdays and on off days i only eat once.

6. Wheigh carbs. And write it down along with bolus doses. Eat the same healthy carbs over and over for simplicity in your life. Memorize.

7. Cardio.

8. If you can stay away from animal protein, do it. That shit is cancer. Literary. Also, not good for your cells.

9. Make sure you get all vitamins and minerals into your system. No, not in pill form. Pharmaceutical companies are evil. Biggest insulin manufacturer? Nestlé, hello?

10. Eat medicinal mushrooms. Aloha Medicinals are the best.

Tags
low blood sugars, management, secrets, sensitivity