FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2013, 03:51 AM

I couldn't take regular metformin because it made me sooooooo sleepy. At the same time I was having thyroid problems which messed with my bs and my depression. Then doc did a blood test to check my vitamin d level and it was a 9 vs the 50 that it was oppose to be. So I have a complete blood work up at least once a year. Since I had thyroid surgery I am feeling much better and have gotten my BS under control with insulin metformin xr diet and exercise. The only side effect I have had so far is diarrhea but not enough to drive to crazy.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:56 AM

I'm on Metformin 1000mg 2x a day. The only side affects I have from it is weight loss and loose bowels, but my doctor told me that will happen. As for the moods and such, It could be something else, I'd talk to your doctor or pharmacist. Good luck!!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:10 AM

I am glad that we can talk about having diabetes and what it means to us. Just bc something works for someone or doesn't work for someone doesn't mean that others will have the same experience. That's the joy of these forums is sharing our experiences in a safe environment. Lets try to be encouraging and understanding of the people who are going through the same things that we are.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:13 AM

I had terrible stomach pains when I first started and my dr wanted me on 2000mg a day. I had to stop and drop down to 1500 mg and after a month or so my body was able to handle the higher dosage.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:15 AM

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum but was interested in what is being said about mood swings and Metformin. I have been Diabetic now for 12 years and drug free until recently. I am supposed to take 500mg twice a day but only take 500 mg due to the fact that I become a little light headed and spaced out about 3 hours after taking the first 500mg and become emotional. My Diabetic nurse suggests that this is hormonal but I find it odd that this started about a week after first taking Metformin. I'm also very tired. I haven't experienced many of the extreme stomach reactions that some are relating but I am reassured that what I am experiencing is shared with others. Thank you for sharing - it really helps us newbies when we can't find information out elsewhere. :-)
Old 08-10-2013, 08:06 PM

I was on metformin 1000mg twice a day. Diarrhea and nausea horrible. They changed it to Metformin ER and diarrhea improved but nausea same. Now on metformin ER 1000mg once a day and has been fine for anout 2 wks but today nausea has returned. Hope its not the met.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:20 PM

I have experienced the nausea also and I know how miserable it is. I have been on metformin for 2.5yrs now and I still suffer from symptoms. I have found that I feel new nausea if I don't eat enough before a take the medicine. It sometimes helps, too, if I eat some of my lunch, take my prescribed dose before I finish all my food, then continue eating.. See if that helps
Old 09-01-2013, 04:49 AM

I've had major problems w Metformin. Nausea. Diarrhea. I have to make sure I eat something with it. And I take the extended release at night to sleep through the nausea but still have problems in the morning. Four opinions later the pharmacist told me these are common to some people. Just is what it is but if you can tolerate the aggravation it's safer than other medications. So. I take the med and the morning trip to the bathroom. On the upside. If I ever have a colonoscopy I'm pretty much ready without having to drink the prep. Ha!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:40 PM

@tiseaweed, I am so happy to hear you have been able to control your meds and feel better. I am very new to diabetes, type 2 and new to this forum. The first posting to your question shocked me, but the following supportive answers made me feel better. I am not yet on medication and I currently experience heavy nausea in the mornings. I can't imagine the meds increasing that feeling, but seems like you found the answer, to take them on a full stomach. Thanks for sharing your remedy and good luck. I hope this experience doesn't hinder you from sharing with the rest of us, perhaps the other person was experiencing a sugar high??

Wakeeta
Old 09-14-2013, 04:14 PM

Hi tiseaweed!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one have the stomach issues! I've had them since I began the metformin and my doctor told me I'd have them too before I took the first pill. I have diarrhea and some days I have to be in the bathroom every half hour. I keep rationalizing that at least it's helping me lose weight... I know, not funny. Gotta keep my sense of humor though as it helps when you have type 2 diabetes.

Tags
metformin