FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2010, 02:40 PM

Lyrebirds & others. The website refers to Dr Richard Bernstein so I have checked his books Diabetes Solution & Diabtes Diet. Lots more instruction & insight for the varied experiences we have managing. I got the diet on on my kindle.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

You should read the other books referenced, as well. Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin
by Gary Scheiner MS, CDE is another good book if you are having to use insulin.

Danny
Old 08-04-2011, 05:23 PM

I too STRONGLY recommend "think like a pancreas" as a must read for insulin dependent diabetics.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:46 PM

TLM I have Type 2. My nephrologist recommended "Dr Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes" - Amazon.com. Emphasis is on reducing fat in the blood - Vegan diet. I am just beginning.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
... but I've been following the diet suggested by my Educator and she said I *MUST* have 9 carbs a day (15g serves, pretty much) ... that was ~5 years ago, and the only thing thats happened is that I've put on weight and my BGLs have got worse and more out of control.
This same thing happened to me! I tried the South Beach diet and lost 30+ lbs. Then the doctor sent me to a dietician, who was horrified about the diet and insisted I each a certain amount of carbs every day. I gained back every pound I lost, plus a few more. Very discouraging. I think this is when I gave up and went back to my old habits and started sliding into depression.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:44 PM

good information on here thanks.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:03 PM

Yes, it is a great website. I also recommend Dr. Bernstein's diabetic diet book & testing a lot. My husband was headed into neuropathy & it has now reversed. Also testing a lot has helped me find the best time to take mr Metformin ER
Old 05-09-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftmomma View Post
I think this is when I gave up and went back to my old habits and started sliding into depression.
+1.

On my last visit to my endo, she wanted to put me on insulin and no matter what anyone tells me, as a TypeII I regard this as a failure on my part, to do whats sensible, and thats to drop carbs from my diet. I'm not on insulin but she's added Actos as a third line, which has had an immediate good effect. I need to get with the program though because I have just now been reading on that site how dangerous Actos is in the long term. I'm not getting any side effects yet... but why tempt fate.

Back on the low/no carb bandwagon, me: I want off most of those meds. I have 2 months left in which to prove to her that I can get my A1c down, and I know its already dropping like a rock.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:53 PM

At my one visit to a nutritionist, she wanted me to eat something like 15-30 carbs at mealtime! At 30 carbs, I usually fall asleep. A few nights ago, I spiked at 248 on 48 carbs.

I understand that nutritionists, CDEs, and doctors must go by what's been proven and accepted by the medical community -- it's the way they're trained, and if they try something different and it doesn't work, they get sued -- but it's apparent to me that it's not a one-size-fits-all situation. I can't deal with that many carbs, period.

On another forum, someone commented that he/she just nods and pretends that he/she is following the recommended diet. The doctor's happy with the great A1c numbers and cholesterol numbers. I think that's what I'm going to do the next time I saw my doctor: "Oh, yes, I saw the nutritionist. My numbers are getting much better." I'll just leave out the part where I decided to go low-carb instead
Old 10-03-2012, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the article! This week is my fort week ever where my blood sugar averages below 120.
91 out of bed this am.
The denial phase lasted longer for me, and I resisted my Doc every step of the way.
No more, I want to make it to my seventies and beyond.

Tags
blood glucose, blood sugar, blood sugar 101, type 2 diabetes