FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2012, 04:22 PM

Thanks to everyone who posted helpful info on this thread. I have been on Metformin for about 4 weeks now to manage insulin resistance issues related to PCOS. I have definitely experienced the upset stomach and diarrhea side effects. My cycle was off this month as well. Initially, my morning readings were all over the place. Some days it seemed like the metformin was working, then other days my fasting glucose was high. Just by chance, I came to discover through observation (don't ask!) that I was not always digesting my pill from the night before. So that is my new dilemna. Like one of the posters before, I am experimenting with how best to take the pill to get the benefits while minimizing the side effects. Still a work in progress....
Old 11-11-2012, 02:56 AM

I've been on metformin for about 5 months now. The first 2 months were awful!! I know exactly how you feel about the nausea and upset stomach. I felt like I had the flu. Thankfully for me that went away by month 3. I can also relate to the moods. I've been on an antidepressant for 5 years that was working great on its own but have recently had to add a second one because it wasn't as effective alone anymore. Started around the same time as the metformin. You are most definitely not alone. Don't believe anyone who tells you it's not side effects cause it definitely is!!
Old 11-14-2012, 04:48 PM

From what I have heard there is an extended release (XR) version of metformin that is supposed to be easier on the stomach. Also, they say that the gastrointestinal side effects often decrease or disappear over time (not that this is very comforting when you're suffering with them).

If it were me I would discuss the problem with my doctor and explore options to try and make the metformin more manageable for you as it is a very effective and well understood medicine.

As for the depressed feelings, well simply getting the diagnosis of diabetes is enough to cause depression in a lot of people. Again I would talk to your doctor about your emotional well-being. You may need help such as counseling or anti-depressant medication to help you adjust to your circumstances. I've noticed that the more I learn about diabetes and the more success I have managing my blood sugar the less depressed I feel.

Finally, about the irregular cycle, only your doctor can tell you for sure what's going on there and whether or not it might be related to taking metformin. Everyone's body reacts differently and it may be stress or elevated blood sugar or medication or any number of other factors that are affecting your cycle.

Good luck!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:15 AM

Metformin has caused me gastro side effects. I haven't noticed me being highly emotional and my periods are becoming more regular with treatment and weightloss. People on the Internet can be rude...don't let it bother you too much.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 PM

Start walking Work yourself up to 5 miles a day as many times a week as you can. Walk with friends and family to make it fun. Exercise is your best friend. Along with a healthy diet exercise will help you minimize all symptoms of diabetes and the medications
you take. Drink water too
Old 02-02-2013, 11:40 PM

I am fortunate that metformin works well for me. Funny thing is that I have always had very hard stools and sometimes would go a week to ten days between bowel movements! Metformin made me regular and softer. Plus keeps my BS acceptable.
Sorry you were met with rudeness! From all the other posts since, you can see not everybody is heartless.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:55 PM

Metformin DOES have side effects of nausea upset stomach. My pharmacist even told me that! But they did say it would eventually work itself out. And it did after about 3 months. But I totally know where you are coming from feeling like you can't eat bc you will be in the restroom and nauseated. Hang in there. I promise it will get better!
Old 02-13-2013, 06:40 PM

Sorry you have had so much trouble. I have taken metformin before. I was lucky not to have any side effects. My fasting BS was up to 432 when I was first diagnosed and with exercise and healthy eating it is now back to normal and I am off all diabetes medication. Hang in there and exercise and watch what you eat. You may have to take the pill in the middle of your meal and see if that takes away the nausea.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:28 PM

Default wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjones View Post
The best part about metformin is that metformin is completely free from side effects, thus proving to be highly safe and effective medicine foe type 2 diabetes patients. I don't prove your wrong here. It can be done with you I agree but I used metformin and I got very good result so I think mertformin is great
some people need to research things before they speak:
Utilizing the data gathered from clinical trials of Metformin, there have been statistics which show the different adverse effects that patients may feel when taking the drug. The most alarming of these would be that 52.3% of those who take the drug will experience diarrhea. 25.5% of patients may also suffer from vomiting and nausea. If left untreated, Metformin side effects can cause serious damage to a person’s health, especially to diabetics.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:18 PM

Danqp, how could u say that a out metaphorum? Ivan not take it for the exact reason she is stating! This is a support group not a group that knocks people down! Are you a dr? Doesn't sound like it because if u were unwound not say whatu said!

Tags
metformin