FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2011, 03:58 PM

I've been T1 diabetic for 6.5 years diagnoses when I was 20 - during the first year of being married to an amazing guy. At first I was on a pen then about one year later I got on a pump. Life became so free! Almost too much freedom. I often FORGET that I have diabetes. My Hubby is so great at reminding me to test and retrieving my tester for me. You'd think after 6 years of three+ meals a day one would just remember.

Anyways, sometimes it's tough but I am thanking God daily (hourly sometimes) that I am living during these times rather than 20 or 30 years ago when they knew squat about T1.

I've been pregnant twice and delivered two very healthy, beautiful an active baby boys. Both pregnancies were similar. I had very tight control and saw my Endo. every month and then during the last trimester twice per month and during last month every week.

My insulin requirements increased drastically by the end (Basals tripled and my carb ratio from 1:10 to 1:3) it was a wild ride both times. But worth it!! So so worth it - my boys bring unexplainable happiness. One is 3.5 and the little one is 7 months.

The best advice I can give, having gone through two pregnancies, is keep in mind that baby is in YOUR care. When you want to be careless just remember that it affects your baby. And I'm not sure if you believe in God but I prayed a lot during my pregnancies. I had to trust that God was in control and that I couldn't change anything by worrying ( I would just make it worse actually). Be smart and understand the responsibility that u want to take on. It's totally doable but not without sacrifices on your part. And even the sacrifices are good ones (ie cut out a lot of the junk food in ur diet and restrain your self to one serving of pie etc and BOLUS accordingly - use the dual wave or square wave bolus for craving like Chinese food). Good luck!