FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2012, 03:51 AM

Unhappy Metformin - Tough time adjusting

Hey there. I was recently diagnosed with TYPE 2 Diabetes and was prescribed Metformin. At first I was taking 500 mg a day, and after two weeks I started taking 1000mg a day. Lately I have been having headaches, stomach pain and i have been feeling very nauseous about 2 hours after taking the medicine. My main concern is the nausea. My question is - is there anything I can eat to counter act the nausea? It's really bad to the point where I have to lie down and just sleep it off. Sometimes I wake up nauseous. My doctor told me to basically deal with it and hopefully my body will adjust to it. Does anyone have suggestions/tips? Many thanks!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:03 PM

Smile

I started with the same dosage. I took about two weeks for side effects to go away. I'm doing a lot better now!! There is hope!
Old 04-28-2012, 02:56 AM

I was put on metformin about 6 wks ago. 2 days after I started taking it (2x's per day) I thought I had come down with the flu. I had nausea, diaherra, headaches, extreme fatigue, dizziness and some muscle pain. After feeling like this for 3 weeks I called the doctor. Apparently I was having severe side effects and he took me off it immediately. It took about a wk to start feeling better.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:30 PM

I started Metaformin about six weeks ago. The first week I dealt with a bit of stomach/diarrhea but after that it has been fine. I do
2 pills a day.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:20 AM

Several years ago I went into lactic acidosis and nearly died when they put me on metformin. apparently i can't tolerate it very well - they've since come out with a gradual release over time form of it and i'm doing a lot better. I get upset stomach and diarrhea now and then but it isn't as bad a few weeks into taking it.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:33 PM

Default Metformin

I take 4 pills of the extended release and generally haven't had any problems probably part due to having increased gradually over several years. This does possibly explain a couple of bouts of nausea I've had.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:43 AM

If the side effects don't fade don't fret. My life has improved immensely on Novolog and lantus. I never could get to feeling right on met. The needle ain't half as bad as I always feared.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:40 PM

Default Metformin side effects

I am so sorry you are going thru this. It has been so long since I've started as I've been on Metformin for just under 11 years. I advanced to Insulin Injections now with meals and in the evening.

I do remember those effects. Do you happen to have your Gall Bladder? If not, I rememebr when I had mine removed the feeling starting back eating was like a 10 minutes till bathroom! If you are on two, and you cant get thru it, ask your doc if you can take it in the evening before Supper. That way, you will sleep thru the worst. As the earlier comment stated, for me it was a 2 week tie frame until I got thr it.

Insulin may be the next step, but with everything, the side effects are there. While taking Insulin it is more difficult to lose weight. The key for many Type2, myself included, is critical to manage nutritional "INPUT" and I recently found out for men hormonal levels (I would assume that is similar in women).

My advice for you is to see your Primary Care Doctor and ask for a referral to a Diabetic Care Nutritionist or Nurse. Normally, most clinic driven care facilities will have one of these and MOST insurances will allow you to see them, or a series of appointments on them (as preventative). It can show you how to lower morning fasting BGL and live within a Diabetic Diet without changing what you eat. In y case, I needed to lose weight and they have supported that with a Nutrtion plan that will allow me to lose weight and exercise to lower BGL. This may lower it enough to not have to take meds (I pray) at soem point. Until then, Its so important to stay within a healthy BGL and A1C that Dealing with side effects are a way of every day.

Try the evening then possibly move toward exercise in the am and I pray you get the results you need!!!

Vinny

"BE WELL!"

Tags
metformin