FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2012, 04:46 PM

Default Type 1 & Considering Pregnancy

Hello,

I'm 30 & have been type 1 for just over 5 years. My partner & I are considering pregnancy. I'm starting at a pregnancy diabetic clinic to work on my already controlled sugar levels & to I guess just get ready. My doctors keep talking about baby & what baby needs & will go through but I feel like I'm being left out of the picture. Can any of you ladies out there give me some insight as what being pregnant with type 1 may be like. Any experience, antidotes or advice is great appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2012, 05:42 AM

I am also 30, and my daughter is almost a year and a half. Before getting pregnant I went to EVERY doc. Eye, endo, gyno, just to make sure I was healthy and ready. My A1c's were perfect. I ended up giving birth 2 months early due to a number of issues (help syndrome)none of which were my diabetes. In my case diabetes was not the problem. I even used less insulin go figure. Just remember, high sugars cause baby to overproduce insulin and grow bigger. You could have a giant baby if you're not careful. 😉
Old 05-24-2012, 02:46 AM

I am T1 and I have 3 kids. I was diagnosed when I was 7, and none of my babies were over 8lbs. I was induced, but if I could do it again, I would refuse the induction. I was healthy and bg was great. I was seen by a high risk team and an endo team. I have 3 happy, healthy children, ages 9, 4, and 2. I'm almost 30 and I'm trying to lose some weight. Just found paleo/low carb and believe it's the healthiest way to eat, especially for a diabetic mother. Good luck!
Old 07-14-2012, 06:13 PM

I was diagnosed when I was 8 and had my kids when I was 26 & 30. I actually felt better when I was pregnant than any other time in my life bc I took better care of myself. I actually began using the pump as a result of my first pregnancy bc I was taking as many as 10-12 shots a day. My children were long and lean, both weighing a little over 7.5 lbs. I delivered both by c-section at exactly 38 weeks. The best advice I can give is to find a high risk obgyn that you trust & respect bc you'll be seeing a lot of him/her. And honestly, it is about the baby from this point on. You just need to take care of yourself for that baby!!! Like the previous poster stated, get everything checked out first to ensure there are no problems that could be exacerbated by the pregnancy. Good luck and many blessings!!!