FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2010, 01:59 PM

Default I Need Serious Help

Hi everyone... I am posting here to hopefully get control of this disease and once and for all get it under control. My story in a nutshell is that almost 10 years ago I was told I was Type 2 Diabetic... well being the hardheaded type I am I though "yeah right, I feel fine" and let it slide... well 9 years later and many many health issues in the past year it's hit me how TERRIBLE this disease really is and how I need to get it under control before it slowly kills me. I've made several half-hearted attempts at controlling it in the past but never with much success. If my sugar levels got down to the 180 range that was good for me. (Which I know is WAY above normal)... I think the hardest part I am going to encounter is eating right... for the most part I can't stand the foods all of the diabetic diets suggest and love all of the bad stuff I shouldn't have. Well anyhow... here I am... I'll visit often and get to know some of you and maybe we can all help each other along this long hard path we are destined to follow.

Bob
Old 03-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Bob (bhayes60);

Welcome to the Forum!

I am sure by now, you realize that a half-hearted attempt is not good enough. You should strive to keep your blood glucose level (BS) "highs" below 140 mg/dl. I have found that counting carbs - low carb diet and exercise are two of the best ways to do this. You did not say what meds that you take or how many times that you test your BS per day, but I will tell you that testing is a major must do to get where you want / need to be. There is a lot of good information on this site. Test, carb count - low carb diet, exercise and read all the information that you can on this disease, then you will be where you need to be in no time. I wish you well in your battle with this disease. I hope that this helps you in some way!

Danny

Last edited by dano; 03-18-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:12 AM

Thanks Danny, I was just switched to humalog last week and it seems to be working... I'm actually staying around 100-110 with spikes to 145 - 160 now but it quickly drops back to the 100 range within 3 hours after eating. MUCH better than it was with novalog.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:17 AM

By the way Danny... I'm testing a LOT ... out of bed... before breakfast, after breakfast, before lunch, after lunch, late afternoon, before dinner, after dinner, before bed and middle of the night... so that's ... let's see... 10 times a day. Once I have a good understanding of the effects of the meds / food etc on my body I'll drop back but until then I don't want to risk going low. I hit 78 at 2am the night before last, worried me what would happen if I had woken up and ate something.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

That is great news Bob!

I am glad that the Humalog is working for you. I have been on Humalog for a while now. It seems that my condition has changed and I am now classified as T1.5. Are you taking a basal dose or are you just bolusing the carbs with the Humalog? I would not worry about a reading above 70 mg/dl, basically anything below 70 is considered a hypoglycemic event. Keep testing and stay the course! Good luck with your management.

Danny

Last edited by dano; 04-09-2010 at 03:12 AM.